Overheating issue [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Overheating issue

methos
04-22-2010, 09:43 PM
So ive been having an overheating issue on my 2000 grand am. Problem started about 14 months ago and just havent wanted to work on the stupid car. So its been sitting for well over a year. lol

Anyways, its a 3.4L V6 motor
-replaced the thermostat...twice!
-replaced the water pump
Still overheats
-we disconnected the inlet hose and outlet hose on the radiator and put a water hose on the inlet side of the radiator to see of water/coolant flows thru the radiator..it does. so its not the radiator
-system has plenty of coolant

I'm out of ideas. My dad thinks it could be the radiator cap, so will be going to replace it tomorrow.

Anyone else have any ideas??

remiljr
04-22-2010, 09:45 PM
def the radiator cap! Would have been my first move b/c its 5 bux. gl

350rs
04-22-2010, 10:01 PM
how hot is it getting? apparently these cars like to run around 220 or something like that.

methos
04-22-2010, 10:04 PM
how hot is it getting? apparently these cars like to run around 220 or something like that.

normally during the winter...about 180
normally during the summer...not more than 200

now it pegs out if i drive it more than 20 mins
last night i only drove it bout 10 min and it was getting to like 240-260

sugar ray
04-22-2010, 10:25 PM
are you LOSING coolant "SLOWLY" but NO visible signs? AKA: leaks

With the 3.4. That damn poorly designed LIM gasket will give you issues. From what I am seeing on these boards and hearing from other 3.4 owners, its NOT a matter of "I may get lucky with my LIM gasket" but a matter of, "WHEN will it go?"

A head gasket would be my next guess. Usually easily detected by pulling your oil dipstick. Any signs of milky oil will be a head gasket.

methos
04-22-2010, 10:32 PM
are you LOSING coolant "SLOWLY" but NO visible signs? AKA: leaks

With the 3.4. That damn poorly designed LIM gasket will give you issues. From what I am seeing on these boards and hearing from other 3.4 owners, its NOT a matter of "I may get lucky with my LIM gasket" but a matter of, "WHEN will it go?"

A head gasket would be my next guess. Usually easily detected by pulling your oil dipstick. Any signs of milky oil will be a head gasket.

no, once its overheated and stop the car and turn it off. pull of the radiator cap and its still full.

we already replaced the intake manifold gasket a couple years ago

ill check the oil in the morning when i get off work, but im pretty sure its not milky, but ill check inthe morning

sugar ray
04-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Well if you were over heating due to a head gasket then you would notice a decrease in fluid for sure, cause a bad head gasket eats coolant and spits it out the tail pipe for lunch;crap

Sounds like you are chasing a ghost for sure. Almost like there is no coolant circulation going on there.

methos
04-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Well if you were over heating due to a head gasket then you would notice a decrease in fluid for sure, cause a bad head gasket eats coolant and spits it out the tail pipe for lunch;crap

Sounds like you are chasing a ghost for sure. Almost like there is no coolant circulation going on there.

thats what i feel like. but i know the pump works. we pulled it off a like a month after i replaced it and it spins freely and has coolant in it when we pulled it off.
belts are fine too

skifreak122
04-23-2010, 01:03 AM
Have you properly bled the air from the system?

If not, do a search for it.

Vash6563
04-26-2010, 02:41 AM
Check the fans first, if they don't come on when the engine gets hot then turn on the A/C. If they still don't come on then your relays are bad. This is real easy to do and if you replace the relays and the fans still don't kick on then your temp sensor might be out. This happened to me last week. When mine went out my car would overheat just sitting for 10 minutes.

Edit: If it is the sensor and not the relays you can get by if you just keep the A/C on.

juneau
05-03-2010, 07:55 AM
Check the fans first, if they don't come on when the engine gets hot then turn on the A/C. If they still don't come on then your relays are bad. This is real easy to do and if you replace the relays and the fans still don't kick on then your temp sensor might be out. This happened to me last week. When mine went out my car would overheat just sitting for 10 minutes.

Edit: If it is the sensor and not the relays you can get by if you just keep the A/C on.

Recently my fans stopped kicking in even with the A/C turned on, radiator cooling fan override. Are the only relay/switches for the cooling fans in the fuse box under the hood or could there be more? Also considering the purchase of a MPracing PCM to help lower the settings at which the fans turn on to help with the issue.

Has anyone else replaced their PCM with no success of getting the fans to turn on? Even if the fans have a good bill of health, new PCM, relay and switches? Im afraid there may be something else and that with the replacement of everything obvious the problem won't be fixed.

Last note.... if your car runs above 200 there is something wrong, I'm tired of posters commenting that is fine to run at 215 or higher. Mine gets that high when idling because my fans don't turn on, hence something wrong.

westerndragon
05-03-2010, 08:13 AM
my 99gt at 171 runs at 210 its no biggie

only be concerned if you get rapid changes in temp, steam/smoke, or running 250+

these cars run "hot" lol

AaronGTR
05-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Last note.... if your car runs above 200 there is something wrong, I'm tired of posters commenting that is fine to run at 215 or higher. Mine gets that high when idling because my fans don't turn on, hence something wrong.

And your area of expertise and experience is what that would make you the expert on this now?

Congratulations.... you have no clue what you are talking about. The stock programming in the PCM on these cars isn't even supposed to turn the low speed fans on until well over 200. 210-220 IS normal for these cars.... you're a moron. :rolleyes:

To the original poster.... I'd try replacing the radiator cap. I would have done that before replacing the water pump and thermostat and all the other stuff. It's the easiest thing to get to. If that doesn't fix it and you're sure everything else is good, then you probably have a leaking head gasket. LIM gasket leak would not cause your car to over heat like that unless you were regularly getting very low on coolant, and if it was leaking that fast it would be very obvious.

masterjohnson
04-05-2011, 10:38 PM
And your area of expertise and experience is what that would make you the expert on this now?

To the original poster.... I'd try replacing the radiator cap. I would have done that before replacing the water pump and thermostat and all the other stuff. It's the easiest thing to get to. If that doesn't fix it and you're sure everything else is good, then you probably have a leaking head gasket. LIM gasket leak would not cause your car to over heat like that unless you were regularly getting very low on coolant, and if it was leaking that fast it would be very obvious.

i wish replacing my radiator cap will solve my problem. good thing i have read this first before replacing expensive radiator parts (http://www.racepages.com/parts/radiator.html) or else i'll be called a moron too. lol. peace! sorry for digging this one. i am just reading this carefully.

methos
04-06-2011, 02:25 AM
Well to revive this thread, we replaced the radiator cap...NO. Still overheated.
We thought there might have been a pin hole leak in one of the hoses, OR, a blockage in one of the hoses. Because if you pull off the hose right after the thermostat, there is BARELY any liquid visible. Mainly just steam coming out. So I think there is something blocking the coolant from flowing.

But anyways, car still sits. lol. Had some issues come up with my other car that were far more expensive (transmission blew up, axle came out) and had to deal with it first to get it back on the road.

Anyone want a cheap grand am?? lol. $900 and its yours. I dont want to deal with it anymore

SevereDevil
04-14-2011, 05:31 AM
Well to revive this thread, we replaced the radiator cap...NO. Still overheated.
We thought there might have been a pin hole leak in one of the hoses, OR, a blockage in one of the hoses. Because if you pull off the hose right after the thermostat, there is BARELY any liquid visible. Mainly just steam coming out. So I think there is something blocking the coolant from flowing.

But anyways, car still sits. lol. Had some issues come up with my other car that were far more expensive (transmission blew up, axle came out) and had to deal with it first to get it back on the road.

Anyone want a cheap grand am?? lol. $900 and its yours. I dont want to deal with it anymore

dont give up on the grand am!
try radiator sealer, coats everywhere coolant goes. if u think its a small leak. other wise just replace the hoses u can get at. hoses are cheap if u take them all off, go to a hardware store that sells hose and cut the length yourself. its not cheap if u go to napa where their all precut.