Electrical issues [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issues

yournamesux17
04-24-2010, 09:48 PM
Alright I have a 2004 Grand Am GT V6. While driving the other day I realized the doors unlocked out of no where and the a/c stopped blowing cold air. I thought that my air compressor was messed up but the next morning I went to start it and it would crank but wouldn't start. So I started checking all the fuses that dealt the air compressor because I noticed that it stopped working the previous. I found the fuse that was blown, it was #37 in the fuse box under the hood. So I replaced the fuse and the car started right up. I decided to turn on the air again on the way to work to see if the fuse would blow again and sure enough it blew and the locks unlocked themselves again. The fuse for #37 deals with the Body Function Control Module and the A/C Compressor. Which is more likely the culprit the Body Function Control Module or the a/c Compressor? And how can I troubleshoot each to determine this? I think that its the a/c compressor because when I don't turn on the air the fuse won't blow...But not sure how the a/c compressor could have shorted out...

Malaclypse
04-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Its very possible that the A/C compressor clutch has shorted and is causing that fuse to blow. One way to tell for sure would be to install a 10 amp fuse in-line to the A/C compressor on the dark green wire.

Another way would be to measure the resistance across the compressor clutch. Though I'm not sure how much resistance should be there. I know it shouldn't be a dead short though. You could also remove the A/C compressor relay and use the A/C. The compressor won't come on, but if that fuse doesn't blow it will tell you the BCM is okay.

Long story short is it probably needs a new compressor clutch coil or a whole compressor.

yournamesux17
04-25-2010, 08:20 PM
So I removed the relay and it didn't blow. So I thought maybe it was the wire leading from the circuit box to the A/C Compressor. So I removed it from the Compressor and turned the A/C on and it didn't blow. So its between the Clutch and Compressor, like you mentioned. Is the purpose of the electrical line to the compressor to engage the clutch and only that or does it interact with the compressor? My understanding is the line engages the clutch and the compressor runs strictly off of the pulley...Therefore the compressor shouldn't blow the fuse...but I'm not sure. Thanks for the help! Appreciate anymore insight on the matter. Also, I've noticed that the fuse will not blow unless the car moves. I had to drive down the street each time to figure out if the fuse blew or not...not sure if that helps.

Malaclypse
04-26-2010, 05:59 PM
The fuse only blowing when the car is moving is kind of strange.. no idea why that's happening.

The wiring to the compressor is what engages the compressor clutch, then the compressor is driven mechanically by the pulley. So yes, you can get away with just replacing your compressor coil if you can find the part separate.

Its basically a big electromagnet that engages the compressor clutch.

yournamesux17
04-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Sweet! thanks for the help...I'm going to replace the compressor clutch coil and I'll post whether it fixed it or not.