1st time not starting [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 1st time not starting

DrFabulous
05-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Security light has been on for over two years, never had a problem with the car. Randomly, last night, it won't start. It cranks no problem, but won't start. Security light stays on constant (does not flash, and never has), so I tried the PCM re-learn last night, but it didn't help. I'm fairly certain its the passlock system thats getting in the way (although not sure why it just acted up after 2 years), but without being able to start the car, I can't bypass it, right?
What should I do? I'm about to try another security re-learn, and give it 15 mins+ in between tries. If that doesn't work, I'm going to swap in the stock PCM, and try that. Any ideas?

2000 GT Coupe
05-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Security light has been on for over two years, never had a problem with the car. Randomly, last night, it won't start. It cranks no problem, but won't start. Security light stays on constant (does not flash, and never has), so I tried the PCM re-learn last night, but it didn't help. I'm fairly certain its the passlock system thats getting in the way (although not sure why it just acted up after 2 years), but without being able to start the car, I can't bypass it, right?
What should I do? I'm about to try another security re-learn, and give it 15 mins+ in between tries. If that doesn't work, I'm going to swap in the stock PCM, and try that. Any ideas?

put the resister in at the bcm. as shown here, http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm

You will not have the security light on nor will you need to worry about disconnecting your battery. You may have to do one relearn.

DrFabulous
05-04-2010, 08:04 AM
put the resister in at the bcm. as shown here, http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm

You will not have the security light on nor will you need to worry about disconnecting your battery. You may have to do one relearn.

I'm going to try that if I can ever get the car to even start.... from what I've read, most people have been able to at least get the car started after leaving it "on" for 10 mins or so.... I haven't had that luck. Yet. I'm working on it now.

2000 GT Coupe
05-04-2010, 08:13 AM
you wont need to worry about getting it started first, as it states right away disconnect your battery before starting work. Every thing I have read says disconnecting your battery resets the passlock which is why I did not like the cut the yellow wire method. That and the security light would stay on all the time.

hahano404
05-04-2010, 08:23 AM
just for ****z and giggles.... have you tried another key? if worn down to a certain point it may no longer start. mine quit when i bent one in the door.

DrFabulous
05-04-2010, 08:27 AM
just for ****z and giggles.... have you tried another key? if worn down to a certain point it may no longer start. mine quit when i bent one in the door.

Yep, I've tried that. First thing I tried, actually. lol

westerndragon
05-04-2010, 10:29 AM
you could try the bypass walk though for a resistor to disable passlock but really its easier to install a remote car start they have a passlock 1 and 2 bypass built in.

DrFabulous
05-04-2010, 10:39 AM
you could try the bypass walk though for a resistor to disable passlock but really its easier to install a remote car start they have a passlock 1 and 2 bypass built in.

Don't really need/want remote start, resistor should be easy, just need the time to do it.

westerndragon
05-04-2010, 11:21 AM
if your going to do the resistor thing get a few diffrent sized ones because you'll have to do the math from current voltages in the system GL

2000 GT Coupe
05-04-2010, 12:28 PM
its a hell of a lot easier to cut one wire strip 2 and solder a resister in then mess with the tangled wires of a remote system. lol
if your going to do the resistor thing get a few diffrent sized ones because you'll have to do the math from current voltages in the system GL

you dont have to match anything this is from the link I posted.

I arbitrarily chose to use a 2.2K resistor. Some posts have suggested reading the resistor value with an ohmmeter, but all ohmmeters don't read the same value when there are electronic components in the circuit. We will later be teaching the Body Control Module to recognize the resistor we chose, so it doesn't matter what size you use. It can be anything from 470 ohms to 11800 ohms. I suggest something between 2000 and 4000 ohms.

DrFabulous
05-04-2010, 12:42 PM
its a hell of a lot easier to cut one wire strip 2 and solder a resister in then mess with the tangled wires of a remote system. lol

you dont have to match anything this is from the link I posted.

Yeah, that's what I read. Going to try the stock PCM first, then I'll pop in a resistor. If that doesn't work.... screw it, I'm going to be at Fort Benning all summer anyways. lol

PhantomLover007
05-04-2010, 01:50 PM
When you going to Benning again Fabs?

DrFabulous
05-04-2010, 02:24 PM
When you going to Benning again Fabs?

Well, I was just there, but I'll probably be going back by the end of the month for 8 weeks or so. When will you be back?

I feel like we have this conversation every month or so. :o

Sparky'sGA01
05-04-2010, 03:28 PM
my passlock did the same thing 2 weeks after i got the car!

would crank and crank and crank but not start.. had too tow it to a GM dealer to be swapped..

happened right after i got it but its the ONLY thing that has gone wrong with my car lol

PhantomLover007
05-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Well, I was just there, but I'll probably be going back by the end of the month for 8 weeks or so. When will you be back?

I feel like we have this conversation every month or so. :o

:erika:

Yeah. We did, but I'm getting old and I suffer from CRS... ;crap

I should fly back to the sand box on the 26th

DrFabulous
05-04-2010, 04:11 PM
:erika:

Yeah. We did, but I'm getting old and I suffer from CRS... ;crap

I should fly back to the sand box on the 26th

Wait wait, you're home now, and you're going back over on the 26th? For how long?

I get all confused between you, my two cousins, and like 10 friends that are serving. lol

cmtapanes
05-04-2010, 04:20 PM
My security light is been ON for about two years now and last year the car will not start and I try everything including the re-learn procedure; I even took the alarm system thinking there was a problem with the alarm. The actual problem was the FUSE for the PCM located on the driver side that was lose. Theck the FUSE for the PCM power.

Oh.. when I check the fuse the first time the fuse looked fine, then I push the fuse all the way in with my finger while starting the car. That fix the problem.

AaronGTR
05-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Just fyi Fab, if you do the security relearn procedure, it typically doesn't start on the first try. You Usually have to do it 2-3 times before it will start, hence why it usually takes about 30 mins to complete.

Yet another reason it's nice to have a tuner... I can reset the time required for key on for the security relearn to whatever I want. :) 1min each and 3min total to do a security relearn for me (if I ever needed it, haven't yet).

DrFabulous
05-04-2010, 10:06 PM
My security light is been ON for about two years now and last year the car will not start and I try everything including the re-learn procedure; I even took the alarm system thinking there was a problem with the alarm. The actual problem was the FUSE for the PCM located on the driver side that was lose. Theck the FUSE for the PCM power.

Oh.. when I check the fuse the first time the fuse looked fine, then I push the fuse all the way in with my finger while starting the car. That fix the problem.

Interesting. Will try in the morning, thanks.

DrFabulous
05-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Just fyi Fab, if you do the security relearn procedure, it typically doesn't start on the first try. You Usually have to do it 2-3 times before it will start, hence why it usually takes about 30 mins to complete.

Yet another reason it's nice to have a tuner... I can reset the time required for key on for the security relearn to whatever I want. :) 1min each and 3min total to do a security relearn for me (if I ever needed it, haven't yet).

Aaron, I did try the whole thing that comes with MPR's PCM instructions (try to start, sit for 12 min in "on", off for 1 min, try to start) and repeated it 4-5 times to no avail. Or are you talking about something else?

PhantomLover007
05-04-2010, 11:12 PM
No. I'll be home on the 10th mang. lol

DrFabulous
05-05-2010, 06:25 AM
No. I'll be home on the 10th mang. lol

For good?

DrFabulous
05-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Damn car is straight pissing me off, tried the pcm relearn twice today with no luck.

Most of the time when passlock is getting in the way, the security light should FLASH, right? Mine has NEVER flashed, just stays on.

hahano404
05-05-2010, 09:13 AM
when i did my relearn i didnt notice any flash.
this the way i did it.
1 roll down window
2 got out and closed door.
3 turned the key to on.
4 left to get a bite to eat and watch a movie.
5 came home and noticed light was out.
6 cranked it and fired it off.

DrFabulous
05-05-2010, 09:22 AM
when i did my relearn i didnt notice any flash.
this the way i did it.
1 roll down window
2 got out and closed door.
3 turned the key to on.
4 left to get a bite to eat and watch a movie.
5 came home and noticed light was out.
6 cranked it and fired it off.

wtf lol

If I could leave my car unattended with the key in it and window down in my area, I certainly would. I'll have to try it next time I'm doing yard work or something, since its just sitting on the street and not in my garage.

Grandamgtblk99
05-05-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm thinking its not security related. Is your engine light on? There's still a few other things keeping it from starting like a crank sensor or something.

hahano404
05-05-2010, 11:18 AM
very possible since the relearn is crank position related.
but my guess is it usually throws some kind of code.

PhantomLover007
05-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Naw. Fabs. Just for R&R.

2000 GT Coupe
05-05-2010, 03:00 PM
when you turn the key on does your fuel pump run?
check the engine codes, could be something there. Also when you turn on the car the ses light does light up, checking the bulb and all correct. I had the car fail to start but when I turned the key on the ses did not lite nor did the fuel pump start. All I needed to do though was turn off the key and try again.

AaronGTR
05-05-2010, 03:31 PM
very possible since the relearn is crank position related.
but my guess is it usually throws some kind of code.

The security relearn and the crank position relearn are totally unrelated issues.

hahano404
05-05-2010, 04:18 PM
well then i withdraw that statement.
apparently i've been misinformed by others and that their names shall be kept.

DrFabulous
05-06-2010, 06:31 AM
Fuel pump turns on every time. I'd have to check, but I don't remember the engine light doing anything out of the ordinary.

I'm about to tow it over to the local shop and let them deal with it.

ltpats
05-07-2010, 04:56 PM
My car cranks, wont start, no fuel pressure so ok re[laced the fuel pump, started right up, let it sit overnight, same thing crank no start, dead battery. put my battery charger on it, set is at 60 amp boost waited 5 seconds fired right up ran great, If I let the car sit for more than 4 hours it will not start, do the relearn, kills battery, hook 60 amp boost up, starts right up, I also replaced the ignition tumbler. Anyone have any ideas? I forgot to add had battery load tested, check out ok, if I leave it sit it will crank no problem but wont start, have to crank the battery down to dead then hook up the boost, it will start everytime like that, no security light on either. fuel related because it will start with starting fluid just wont stay running or maybe fuel control related

ltpats
05-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Anybody? There is also a difference between the way Alldata and the owners manual says to do the relearn process. Owners manual does not specify that you crank the engine and let it go back to the on position and let set for 10 minutes whereas Alldata does. I tried it both ways 3 times, nothing. The only difference since I put the ignition tumbler in is the security light doesn't stay on during the relearn like it did before, this thing is driving me nuts !!! Any help would be greatly appreciated since when I take it to the dealer the first thing they will say is well since you have an aftermarket sound system it could be anything. Sound system has been in for 2 years now.