OK. Iv'e done everything that I know of........ [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : OK. Iv'e done everything that I know of........

JBailey
05-04-2010, 05:43 PM
2002 Grand AM GT
116,xxx Miles
Just replaced LIM Gaskets
Plugs
Wires
Air Filter

So about 2 months ago - my car became real sluggish - and the Low Coolant light would come on - even with a top off from coolant. So I replaced the LIM gaskets, plugs and wires.

It allso threw a MAP Sensor SES, map replaced.

Car will still running sluggish......not missing - but getting HORRIBLE gas mileage and would not go past 4K RPM at WOT...hmmmmm

So After more research - I decide to drill some holes in my CAT to see if the CAT was clogged - no luck. My friend took a look at the car - and cut the 02 sensor wire going into the 02 sensor - Not what I wanted.........but done now.

It is STILL running sluggish - I am baffled. Engine runs like a top - doesn't miss, and idles great.

Any help would be appreciated. I tried to do as much research and digging as I could, but I need someone's help........I hate taking the car to a mechanic - but if it comes to that, I guess I will.

OH 1 more big thing - after the 02 sensor wire was cut - the SES light is now off. Again - no fricking clue.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank You.

cmtapanes
05-04-2010, 05:47 PM
If you had a service engine light ON and is gone after cutting the O2 sensor the problem was your O2. When the O2 sensor is bad gives your bad gas mileage.

JBailey
05-04-2010, 05:48 PM
If you had a service engine light ON and is gone after cutting the O2 sensor the problem was your O2. When the O2 sensor is bad gives your bad gas mileage.

OK......I would agree with that. The OBDII computer never threw that.........weird I know.

Also - the car still runs sluggish after that.

AaronGTR
05-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Which O2 sensor is it? If it's the front, that is the main fuel trim adjustment and if that sensor isn't working there should definitely be a SES light on.

I wouldn't rule out clogged cat either, drilling holes in it isn't exactly a scientific way to test it. It could be an ignition problem as well that for some reason isn't setting a code? Might want to check for codes again though. The 7x crank sensor (located on the back of the engine block) controls ignition timing at higher rpm (above 3500 iirc) and if it isn't working properly it goes to a default low timing map which would severely restrict power.

sho nuff
05-04-2010, 07:09 PM
When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?

JBailey
05-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Which O2 sensor is it? If it's the front, that is the main fuel trim adjustment and if that sensor isn't working there should definitely be a SES light on.

I wouldn't rule out clogged cat either, drilling holes in it isn't exactly a scientific way to test it. It could be an ignition problem as well that for some reason isn't setting a code? Might want to check for codes again though. The 7x crank sensor (located on the back of the engine block) controls ignition timing at higher rpm (above 3500 iirc) and if it isn't working properly it goes to a default low timing map which would severely restrict power.

It is the one right before the CAT.

This crank sensor you speak of......how would one test it?

When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?

Gonna do that this weekend as well.

Thanks everyone.

JBailey
05-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Does anyone have anything else by chance?