Trasmission Side pan cover [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Trasmission Side pan cover

drumking1721
05-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Alright i posted a question a few weeks ago regarding my transmission leaking.... well I got the axle seal replaced, it stopped that leak, now my side pan gasket is leaking.. Does anyone know how hard this is to replace?
- If so would copper RTV in the seam do the trick? The car has no indications of tranny trouble, just the leak after long drives..... Any help would be much appreciated...thanks!

XtremeGaGt00
05-05-2010, 07:23 PM
dont try any kind of sealant..just buy the right gasket..do it once..do it right..look at my trans rebuild thread..youll se everything you havta take off in order to get to the side cover gasket...axle,strut,knuckel, loosen the cradle bolts so the engine can lean sideways..undo the motor mount right under the cruise control..theres 3 nuts under the ps rack area that will havta be removed..all while your supporting the engine and cradle..its def a balancing act...g.l

AaronGTR
05-05-2010, 08:17 PM
^I agree. Definitely NOT RTV sealer anyway. If anything you could use some of the red transmission case sealer that permatex makes and that would work better. Of course, you have to take the cover off and clean it for it to work... so you might as well just replace the gasket instead. I'd only use the other stuff then if there was a trouble spot, or where it's specifically called for.

drumking1721
05-05-2010, 10:24 PM
What's so bad about Rtv? I'm not meaning to be a ****, but I just don't have the time to do it or take it in. The leak is small, I will get that permatex tranny rtv, I just don't see why I can't do a good cleaning and get the spots that are needed. How common is this leak? And the transmission was rebuilt 45000 miles ago

drumking1721
05-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Alright it's been a couple weeks...i have not RTV'd..yet at least. But when i originally posted i degreased under the car to get all the fluid off...the leaking is real hit or miss and the side cover doesn't look like it is leaking. When there is a little leakage under the car, it is back by the rack and pinion, and i know that fluid is red as well. It still does not explain the fluid on the transmission. I just cannot figure out what is going on. Would the rack and pinion some how be able to get fluid on the transmission? I know that is leaking. But if the transmission is leaking it is leaking just forward of the rack and pinion, in that area. Is there any lines, linkages or anything that would require an o ring? The leaking has not gotten any worse, when its bad it leaks half a shot glasses worth and the tranny is still spot on when driving. If you guys could help it'd be awesome, I just don't have the time to take it in or really troubleshoot. I am lost when it comes to transmissions.