Charge [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Charge

cookiemonster
05-05-2010, 07:14 PM
I know im not a true grand am person. ive got and olds intrigue with the 3.8 V6. i was wondering how hard it would be to put the eaton m90 super charger on the engine and what else i would need be sides the m90 and the belt to go with it. also how much would instalation cost, or could it be done at home?

AaronGTR
05-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Could be done at home. It would take some experience and tools though, and a factory manual including the grand prix GTP. My opinion is, if you have to ask about it, you probably shouldn't attempt it yourself. It's quite involved.

It's not really a matter of just switching the blower over. The supercharger came on a totally different engine... yours is an L36 (same engine as my '97 GP and my moms '98 intrigue)... the M90 supercharger used in the grand prix GTP came as part of the L67 engine. I believe you need the lower intake specific to that engine to mount the SC, plus the engine internals themselves are beefed up and lower compression to work with boost. Then there is the beefed up 4T65E-HD trans to handle the power, different fuel injectors, changes in the engine wiring harness, and programming of the computer is needed.

It can and has been done, but as you can tell it takes a lot of parts and work. With the low cost of used cars these days... if you really want the L67 engine I'd just buy a grand prix GTP or Buick Regal GS with it already installed. Unless you really really want a boosted olds... you can't beat factory reliability. :thumbs:

Malaclypse
05-05-2010, 10:01 PM
People have swapped the M90 onto an NA 3800 without touching the bottom end, but obviously it takes some tuning to handle the boost on a higher compression ratio.

If you just installed the parts without a tune you can bet that detonation would come knocking on your door.

cookiemonster
05-06-2010, 08:40 PM
ok well are there any cheaper mods i can do? like around 50-60 buck?

oldschoolguy
05-06-2010, 09:21 PM
60 bucks might get you a refill on headlight fluid

DrFabulous
05-06-2010, 10:26 PM
ok well are there any cheaper mods i can do? like around 50-60 buck?

New spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filter.

I'm not joking, either. If they haven't been replaced recently, thats where you'll get the most gain.