Drivers Seat [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Drivers Seat

dcuballa
05-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Has anyone possibly taken a drivers seat apart and could give some details as to what is involved. The bolster pad closest to the door has pull away a little and a piece of metal is coming in contact with the seat cover. I need to correct this before a hole is worn in. Again this is the Upper part of the seat and I need to know how to get it away from the bottom and how to get the cover off. Any help would be great!!

realestdriver
05-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Your going to have hell doing this yourself. You could probably get the seat cover off, but once you got that far you would probably have to take it to a professional. Someone would most likely have to try and mold you some new cushion onto the seat.

juanvan
05-10-2010, 07:08 AM
So are you looking to take the seat all the way apart b/c the side pads on the upper seat are breaking off, this correct?

The process I did for my covers, Take off the lumbar control on the front, its 2 clips and they are a PIA, ending up braking 1. then taking off the 6way controls off the side.
Once you have these off you can then take the bottom apart. There are 2 bolts on both sides where it tilts back.

If you have the tilt as a handle, you will need to release the cable. Normal cable pin removal -
then you will have to take the lumbar support cable off. I did not do this, I think its the same as the tilt cable.

Then you can start taking off the top cover, but to take off the plastic head rest holders, you have to squeeze the bottoms and they will slide out, also the head rest has to be already removed.

the best thing you can do to fix what I think your looking to Get at, is glue. Its all foam there is really no way to fix it right.

Also be careful taking the covers off the foam, there are Velcro like and only glued to the foam they will rip if you get to wild with them.

I hope that helps :)

dcuballa
05-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Yes thank you...that helps me out a lot and I Hope to get this corrected this week. I planned on shooting some glue in there and finding some sort of tape to hold it back together...maybe bare bond.

juanvan
05-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Holy smokes that stuff is expensive - Bera Bond - 180 for 9 sheets or something..

Some guerrilla glue should work for what your trying to do also depends on how many rips you have in that area..

dcuballa
05-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Ive got 2 sheets from my days of working at JR Motorsports

juanvan
05-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Ahh they are a good thing to have laying around.. But to buy them for one little project not so much!