is it safe? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : is it safe?

madman91
05-08-2010, 10:34 PM
is it safe to run a copper spark plug in a 99ga gt? this car is not going to be driven hard or anything like that. i just want to hear from some people that have done it before i do lol

Malaclypse
05-09-2010, 01:09 AM
I've used copper NGKs in a 3100. They worked just fine.

The only difference between a copper and platinum plug si the longevity. Platinum plugs will last longer due to the harder metal used on the electrodes. So you'll just have to replace your copper plugs every 30k or so.

AaronGTR
05-09-2010, 09:40 AM
No reason to run copper plugs unless it's modified for performance and you don't mind replacing them more often. Stick with factory platinum or iridium tips.

Malaclypse
05-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Cost is a factor.

Labor is free if you're doing it yourself. Its just how valuable you consider your time vs the cost difference between Platinum/Iridium and copper plugs.

[ChaosweaveR]
05-09-2010, 12:22 PM
The LA1 in these cars were designed to use either a double platnium or iridium plug. IMO, it's a stupid idea to run a copper plug in these motors while 100% stock.

Use AC Delco plugs, pt # 41-101. You'll get long life out of them and not have to worry about changing them every 25K or so. Use the right type plug.

madman91
05-09-2010, 09:42 PM
i would just rather spend 12 dollars on plugs vs 25-30. the car is just a beater and if it will run fine with them id like to save the money for mods on my z06 lol

[ChaosweaveR]
05-09-2010, 10:27 PM
i would just rather spend 12 dollars on plugs vs 25-30. the car is just a beater and if it will run fine with them id like to save the money for mods on my z06 lol

:nono:

Seriously, guy? Why cheap out on something important like that? The car comes with a high end double platnium OEM (which has been replaced with the 41-101 iridiums) why downgrade to a cheap plug?

These motors use the waste spark ignition system, and they're rough on plugs (hence the use of a double platinum and iridium) and if this is your beater car, I doubt you want to worry about doing plugs every year just to save money now. In the long run, running the OEM AC Delcos save you cash, not the cheaper copper plugs.

As said, the only reason to run a copper plug is if your running boost on these motors, that's it.

madman91
05-10-2010, 12:33 AM
[QUOTE='[ChaosweaveR];1123920']These motors use the waste spark ignition system, and they're rough on plugs (hence the use of a double platinum and iridium) QUOTE]

thats all i needed to hear. i could care less about changing the plugs once a year, that only takes a few minutes, i just wanted to know if it was safe or not. if the ignition system really does need a platinum or iridium plug thats fine but i didnt want to be pissing away money on a $750 dollar car if i didnt need to. thanks for the info man :angel

[ChaosweaveR]
05-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Trust me, running the proper iridium plug is nowhere near "pissing your money away".

And it can be a pain changing out the plugs, it'll take you at least 30-45 minutes. The back plugs tend to be a pain, and moving the ICM out of the way speeds it up a bit.

madman91
05-10-2010, 12:52 AM
thanks for the tip man

Grandamgtblk99
05-10-2010, 10:26 PM
If you really have a Z06 you wouldn't be worried about paying the difference between copper plugs and iridium.

westerndragon
05-11-2010, 05:54 AM
eh owning a zo6 he might be approaching middle age and needs the extra $ for rogain :-)

seriously though use the OEM specified plugs and you wont be pissing $

stillriza
05-11-2010, 07:07 AM
If you really have a Z06 you wouldn't be worried about paying the difference between copper plugs and iridium.

not true.

If I were to own a Z06.. I'd keep the GA for winter driving and you can bet for damn sure I wouldn't spend a penny more than needed on the GA. If I can get cheaper plugs that would allow the GA to run same as before.. and save the $10 per plug than that is the way I'd go. Any extra $$ saved I'd rather spend on the vette or other more important things.

Wether the OP is telling the truth or not..You shouldn't just assume.
You don't know what anyone's financial situation is.

To the OP.. what most people are saying.. you may be spending more $$ on plugs that *may/may not* work as well as stock iridium plugs.

Look at it this way. Over the life of your vehicle you may need to change copper plugs at roughly 30XXXKM where as the Iridium Plugs run for 75XXX-100XXXKM.

Copper plugs run you $3x6=$18
Irridium runs you $7x6=$42

Over the course of 100000KM you will spend $54 on copper plugs if you change them every 33XXX KM and only $42 for iridium plugs if you change them at 99000KM.

eh owning a zo6 he might be approaching middle age and needs the extra $ for rogain :-)

seriously, I am 26 and 'can' financially afford to finance a Z06 if i were to stretch my self thin over the course of the next year. As I mentioned above, assuming makes you an idiot.. OP could be banking more than either of us or not.

so seriously, stop posting.. you haven't made a single valid/worthwhile post since you've registered.. and I know I am not the only member who has mentioned this to you.

[ChaosweaveR]
05-11-2010, 12:47 PM
If I were to paint my engine Christmas colors and live in Maine in the middle of nowhere...wait, I don't.

Agreed. Log off, and don't come back.

madman91
05-11-2010, 05:03 PM
not true.

If I were to own a Z06.. I'd keep the GA for winter driving and you can bet for damn sure I wouldn't spend a penny more than needed on the GA. If I can get cheaper plugs that would allow the GA to run same as before.. and save the $10 per plug than that is the way I'd go. Any extra $$ saved I'd rather spend on the vette or other more important things.

Wether the OP is telling the truth or not..You shouldn't just assume.
You don't know what anyone's financial situation is.

To the OP.. what most people are saying.. you may be spending more $$ on plugs that *may/may not* work as well as stock iridium plugs.

Look at it this way. Over the life of your vehicle you may need to change copper plugs at roughly 30XXXKM where as the Iridium Plugs run for 75XXX-100XXXKM.

Copper plugs run you $3x6=$18
Irridium runs you $7x6=$42

Over the course of 100000KM you will spend $54 on copper plugs if you change them every 33XXX KM and only $42 for iridium plugs if you change them at 99000KM.

seriously, I am 26 and 'can' financially afford to finance a Z06 if i were to stretch my self thin over the course of the next year. As I mentioned above, assuming makes you an idiot.. OP could be banking more than either of us or not.

so seriously, stop posting.. you haven't made a single valid/worthwhile post since you've registered.. and I know I am not the only member who has mentioned this to you.

you sir are 100% correct with everything you said in your post! and for the record im 24 yrs old and this is my third vette. they are not nearly as hard to afford as most people think. like i had posted before i paid $750 bucks for the car and it is strictly a beater so to drop tons of money buying top of the line parts is a waste to me, but as stated before if the car really does require platinum i will use them.

i have not been on this site for long but if people really do act the way some posts have reflected it can damage the image of the site. no need to throw punches, i just wanted some info.

and if i can figure out how to upload pics i will post some of the z and ga