Up Hill Surging 2200-2300rpm [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Up Hill Surging 2200-2300rpm

juanvan
05-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Having a strange problem, the car is surging only when going up hill between 2200-2300rpm it is a very slight surg but is very annoying since I travel up and down hills all the time.

Other notes: It usual only when the car is warm; there is a big hill I go up first thing in the morning, the car is fine all the way up it and come from cold to temp by the time I am up the hill.

Any Idea's on this to get my in the right direction :)

Jake
05-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Pretty common problem. My old GA SE started doing it at like 145k miles and when my sister totaled it at like 180k it was still doing it. I had the trans serviced at like 135k but that didn't solve the problem. The car shifted like a dream but would still do that little weird surge thing.

juanvan
05-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Well I am hoping there is a fix for it somewhere out there :) Its kinda annoying the car has 155k on it right now.

juanvan
05-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Put some Prem gas in it and it seemed to do better - it was not bad going up the home hill last night. I will tell again tonight - only a few more day of that hill, and finally move to the new place! :)

juanvan
05-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Well now the problem has escalated to a flashing SES service engine soon light - Miss fire code - there is a pending code on Cylinder 3 - I guess its not a total code yet.. Don't know what that means.

So thinking from reading it could be a few things - Fuel injectors bad, CAT bad, or other fuel system problem along with spark wires something..

So I guess post your solutions ;-)

GrandAmMe
05-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Hmm mine seems to do the same thing. You can just barley notice it when pulling away from a stop on a flat or uphill road. Weird.

Malaclypse
05-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Replace your spark plugs for starters.

I had this issue in my Monte Carlo.. it felt like a surging but was really a misfire. The fact that the spark plugs were the source was surprising. I was using AC Delco plugs and they only had 50k on them. Sure enough, I pulled the plugs on cyls 2 and 5.. the tip was completely gone.

Replaced the plugs and the problem was solved.

juanvan
05-15-2010, 05:55 PM
I am going to replace the plugs as well - but just ordered a magnaflow high flow cat - the car has 155k on it and there was a a bad smell coming from the car so will have to see what happens next.

juanvan
05-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Replace your spark plugs for starters.

I had this issue in my Monte Carlo.. it felt like a surging but was really a misfire. The fact that the spark plugs were the source was surprising. I was using AC Delco plugs and they only had 50k on them. Sure enough, I pulled the plugs on cyls 2 and 5.. the tip was completely gone.

Replaced the plugs and the problem was solved.

Where did the plug heads go?

Malaclypse
05-16-2010, 04:14 PM
I just mean that the tip of the electrode on the ceramic side of the plug was completely worn to a round nub.

juanvan
05-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the info - I will see what the plugs look like when I get them out tonight.

juanvan
05-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Took the plugs out and they were all fine, But there was a broken wire on cylinder 3 - so that is where the code was coming from - Have to pick up the wires tomorrow since the store is already closed.

It was also where the bad smell came from, since well burning rubber is not a good smell -
Plugs and wires were on the car for 100-75k miles so I can't complain. :)

New CAT will be here wed going to try to get it on before the weekend - even though I might not need it Now, its prob good to replace after 160kmiles just b/c...

juanvan
05-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Replaced the wires and plugs and it still has misfires - more in other cylinders now.

My code reader does data streams as well as history -
The history on cylinder 3 had a misfire rate of 3270 times in the (OMFG)
@ idle there was no misfires - when it got to 2000rpms there were misfires all over the cylinders - 1/2/3/6 - I was not running the car too long just in case there was more problems to it.

Also in the data stream there is manifold pressure - I don't know if this is exhaust or intake - but the readings were in the 36kps range - I have to drive it back to the garage and do some more data stream analysis.

Will have to see what happens when the new cat is on.. hopefully get it on tomorrow - have a house closing Friday and TOO many things to do after that I can't be dealing with the car for a few weeks..

Side note: I noticed that when I rev the engine in park or neutral it will only rpm to 3500 then the engine will cut out like its going too high.. I don't think this is normal, has anyone had this problem before?

Edit: Just did an exhaust pressure test and there is like NOTHING coming out the rear - so it def has to be the cat - no other reason for there to be no pressure coming out of the exhaust.. Time will tell if its licked! :)

juanvan
05-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Got the cat on but still have the misfires - they are now not under a load, and only at idle or going from a start, and only in cylinder 1...

Fuel filter the next step?
What are the g/s reading on the MAF suppose to be?
Also what is the fuel rail pressure reading to be at - since I can read that with out having to replace the filter right away.

Maybe I should do a CASE learn on the engine since I replaced the 24x sensor at the start of the summer, has ran fine for months..

Malaclypse
05-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Don't go too nuts now. Since its one cylinder you can switch coils and see if the misfire moves. If it doesn't, suspect a loose wire or a clogged injector.

Some times new plug wires like to pop loose when the motor gets hot the first few times.

juanvan
05-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Ya I checked the wires to make sure they were on properly -

I had bosh 4 plugs in it for 100k miles with out a problem, I put the same thing in then reading everyone has problems with them - Picked up a set of NGK's last night and a fuel filter since that prob has a few 10k's miles on it. Also picked up MAF cleaner to clean it see if that helps... I saved some data on the obdII reader but it looks like the MAF is ok from the stream...

O2 sensors look like they are in range 100-800 something the rear is usually above 800 most of the time.

No coolant in the oil, but the car still get a little warmer then I think it should so going to be changing the coolant too this weekend.

Going nutzzz is my fathers job - He picked up a 76 inday pace car - car has like 53k miles on it - it was garage kept before he had it.

So far he has replaced all the brake lines, the carb, the intake has been take off and everything was painted, rear and front suspension, tires and all bearings. That was fall last yr.

He then took it out of the garage to replace the A-arms on the front - and long story short it fell off the lift (3-6inches) and a rear quarter panel on the passenger side got bent so.. He took out the interior to re do the rugs the seats and the console. Then took the engine and transmission out to have the bearings redone and the innards in the transmission. And now has the front clip off the frame b/c he wants to take the frame off the body to get painted.

By the time he is done just about every piece on the car will be new.. He is nutz, I go after what I think might fix it from reading there is a Huge difference. I just hope I never learn his methods of a 'Quick Fix'

juanvan
05-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Finally fixed the problem - changed the plate under the coils and replaced the plugs with ngk's - car is running a lot better!