3.8 Supercharged Swap in a Chevy Luminia [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 3.8 Supercharged Swap in a Chevy Luminia

Laser57
05-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Hey guys, I know this isn't a forum for cars that are not Grand Ams and I hate when people ask things about non-Grand Am cars, but i figured you guys can help me out with this...

My friend has a 1997 Chevy Luminia with the 3100 in it and we want to swap in a Series 2 supercharged 3.8 out of a Grand Prix cause the motor in it is getting weak. We did some research and the transmission can handle the exact torque the motor puts out. I know we need a map sensor off the donor car but I am just wondering what else we would need (PCM, wiring harnesses, ect..). Another thing I was thinking about is the location of things like the air conditioning compressor hookups and all the coolant lines being in the same spaces or if we will have to re-plumb the car.

Any feedback will be greatly appriciated.

DrFabulous
05-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Hey guys, I know this isn't a forum for cars that are not Grand Ams and I hate when people ask things about non-Grand Am cars, but i figured you guys can help me out with this...

My friend has a 1997 Chevy Luminia with the 3100 in it and we want to swap in a Series 2 supercharged 3.8 out of a Grand Prix cause the motor in it is getting weak. We did some research and the transmission can handle the exact torque the motor puts out. I know we need a map sensor off the donor car but I am just wondering what else we would need (PCM, wiring harnesses, ect..). Another thing I was thinking about is the location of things like the air conditioning compressor hookups and all the coolant lines being in the same spaces or if we will have to re-plumb the car.

Any feedback will be greatly appriciated.

Have you not read all the threads about people swapping the 3800 into GA's?? Same thing applies. Not worth the massive amounts of custom fabrication/wiring that it would take.

Laser57
05-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Yea, I've read those, but they made LTZ Luminias with the 3.8 so I didn't know if it would be worthwhile.

AaronGTR
05-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Really.... I'm getting tired of answering these questions. This is going to be my new default response to this...

If you have to ask, then you shouldn't attempt this!!!

ie if you don't already know what it would take and how to do it, then it's too hard for you. Tell her to buy a car with a supercharged 3800 in it already. It will be cheaper and easier in the long run!

Malaclypse
05-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Here's what you need.

PCM, Wiring harness from a 98 Lumina, Engine, 4T65 HD trans, Mounts, hoses, axles, etc etc etc.

Its a bolt-in swap.

Have fun.

zeddsdead
05-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Really.... I'm getting tired of answering these questions....

try not to feel obligated to respond.

sorry laser57. i haven't a clue, but good luck.

westerndragon
05-14-2010, 06:12 PM
try not to feel obligated to respond.

sorry laser57. i haven't a clue, but good luck.

Likewise zedd

GTRGOD has spoken and it is so!

he's very much correct if its a DIY then forget it unless you KNOW what to do.

I helped a friend put a 3400 into a sunfire and i will never attempt it again. everything went well "eventually" and it runs like a beast on fire BUT for the pain aggravation and horrors that come up its not worth the trouble

just buy a new/used 3100 and drop it in 500x easier

zeddsdead
05-14-2010, 09:11 PM
oh, i'm not getting tired at all. :)

stewartfn18
05-14-2010, 09:34 PM
swap in the subframe, the WHOLE wiring harness, pcm and do a top swap and do all the tuning associated with it, or go buy a l67 equipped w body. theres ur answer