Blinking SES light woes [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Blinking SES light woes

nexxusty
05-18-2010, 05:40 AM
Hey all, my 03' GA threw an SES recently. It happened when I was driving home, I will elaborate.

I was coming out of a corner at about 100 km/h, I stepped on the gas pretty hard and the car just did nothing, for about 2 seconds nothing happened. It suddenly kicked in and went off, got to about 120 km/h and backed off. Went over an intersection at about 90 km/h (This intersection was raised a bit so my car lifted quite a bit. No air though) and right at that time my SES light started blinking and I slowed down to see what was up.

The car was sputtering and the engine was acting really rough. I haven't attempted to fix it since. I am looking at my Plugs, got the first 3 off, doing the rest later on today. I doubt it's the plugs though, they were changed recently along with the wires.

I know most of you are going to say get the code read, and I would, but I live in Canada and we don't have an awesome store like Autozone that lends out scanners, at least not one that I know of. So until I can get the code read, which will most likely be random misfires anyways, does anyone have any suggestions to what it could be? I think the fact that the car hesitated for that long and then threw an SES can't be a coincidence.

ANY help or feedback is appreciated. Thank you. :)

[ChaosweaveR]
05-18-2010, 07:37 AM
You won't know until you pull codes. No need to guess.

westerndragon
05-18-2010, 10:06 AM
when you punched the gas it probably misfired as it was downshifting to pull you out of the corner. or the trans slipped, drive it a little bit but be gentle see if the SES shuts itself off.

call around some shops try the smaller garages most of them will read your car for free hoping for work out of it.

nexxusty
05-18-2010, 12:08 PM
;1124739']You won't know until you pull codes. No need to guess.

I figured I'd need a OBD-II to get out of this one.

when you punched the gas it probably misfired as it was downshifting to pull you out of the corner. or the trans slipped, drive it a little bit but be gentle see if the SES shuts itself off.

call around some shops try the smaller garages most of them will read your car for free hoping for work out of it.

Oh it's definitely misfiring. When it's on you can tell not all the cylinders are running. I don't think driving the car in it's current state would be good idea.

nexxusty
05-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Just completed the FPR suck test. Didn't pass, I got gas in my mouth. But not much, also there was no pressure at all when sucking, it was like sucking on a straw WITHOUT your finger over the end.

Sucked for about 4 seconds until I tasted something sweet in my mouth (didn't know gas tasted sweet), then I checked the oil dipstick to see if it smelled like gas, it does. Not overpowering but its there. So my question now is, could this have gone south when I took that corner and hammered gas?

Is it even probable for my car to act this way even if the FPR is faulty. A misfire? I just don't know these things, I am trying to learn. I gather that if the FPR is faulty, and gas leaks out of that line, that would be putting gas directly in my crankcase and causing my engine to run really lean correct? Which I am not sure but I think can lead to misfires?

Thanks again.

westerndragon
05-18-2010, 01:45 PM
its definatly possible to misfire if the FPR is toast its a "FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR"

AaronGTR
05-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Might have gone really lean when coming out of the corner, either from fuel slosh in the tank (what was the fuel level?) or from the FPR if that is indeed bad. Either way, if the misfires are bad enough, or if it's running really leaning and detonating bad enough, the PCM determines this as something that can damage the catalyst and will flash the SES light to show there is a major problem and you need to pull over and shut the car off to avoid further damage. I wouldn't drive it anywhere until you get the code read and diagnose the problem.

nexxusty
05-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Just completed the FPR suck test. Didn't pass, I got gas in my mouth. But not much, also there was no pressure at all when sucking, it was like sucking on a straw WITHOUT your finger over the end.

Sucked for about 4 seconds until I tasted something sweet in my mouth (didn't know gas tasted sweet), then I checked the oil dipstick to see if it smelled like gas, it does. Not overpowering but its there. So my question now is, could this have gone south when I took that corner and hammered gas?

Is it even probable for my car to act this way even if the FPR is faulty. A misfire? I just don't know these things, I am trying to learn. I gather that if the FPR is faulty, and gas leaks out of that line, that would be putting gas directly in my crankcase and causing my engine to run really lean correct? Which I am not sure but I think can lead to misfires?

Thanks again.

I'd like to correct this, what I thought was the FPR valve was the PCV valve. <- n00b. I checked the FPR and its fine, not sure where to go from here. Heave heard Oxygen sensor and maybe the CAT, problem is I am not financially stable enough to dump any large amount of money into this ATM.

Not to sure where to turn now. :(

AaronGTR
05-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Well, my next piece of advice then would be... don't drive your car so hard if you can't afford to fix it if it breaks. ;)

nexxusty
05-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Well, my next piece of advice then would be... don't drive your car so hard if you can't afford to fix it if it breaks. ;)

LOL good call. I wasn't going too fast though, 100km/h, should be able to deal with that.

I remembered there was a rotten egg smell, my oil also smells like gas. I was told the rotten egg smell was the CAT. Makes sense. Not sure what could cause the gas smell in the oil though. Any ideas?

nexxusty
05-20-2010, 04:17 PM
I picked up an OBD-II scanner and p0301 was the code I got.

Cylinder 1 Misfire.

Going to check the coil packs now. Still not sure where to go from here. Any thoughts?

westerndragon
05-20-2010, 07:06 PM
your probably not burning any gas in cyl 1

AaronGTR
05-20-2010, 07:15 PM
yeah, would be nice to see if it's just occasional random misfires, or if it's just constant on that cylinder. And to see what the O2 sensor is doing and see if it has any weird fluctuations. Is your scanner just a code scanner, or does it have an actual scanning app that will let you read sensors live while the engine is running?

First thing I'd do is check the plug and wire on cylinder one of course (that's the rear bank passenger side in case you didn't know). I'm thinking that it may be a bad/sticking injector though.