Engine Break In Procedure [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine Break In Procedure

eckoxl
05-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Alright guys, I need to know the proper way to break in my engine. It is a completely brand new engine with a cam & turbo. What oil should I use for the initial start and break in and how should I break it in?

westerndragon
05-18-2010, 10:15 AM
drive it gently for about 6k mi or so and dont WOT untill after youve done at least two oil changes just use it as if it were a slow honda, after a bit of regular driving you'll be fine

i_ammetal
05-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Theres the two theories to breaking in an engine....

Drive very gently and carefully for the first 3-5k miles (which can take awhile) to "gently" break in the moving parts..

And the other theory, dive it like you've had it for 5 years without taking any extra precautions.

Personally, I'd be gentle with the car for at LEAST 3k miles... better safe than sorry.
Also, I would just use the normal oil you have used before.... hopefully some kind of synthetic.

realestdriver
05-18-2010, 12:45 PM
3-6k (as said ^^^) is a really long time, but from what I've seen on rebuilt engines just take it easy on her for the two oil change period or you could be throwing tht money right away.

WidbyJ
05-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Wrong! Rings WILL NOT seat properly if you baby it, nor will any of the bearings be lapped properly....

Look it up elsewhere. I will not join in an argument here but I will laugh at all the wrongness!

stewartfn18
05-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Wrong! Rings WILL NOT seat properly if you baby it, nor will any of the bearings be lapped properly....

Look it up elsewhere. I will not join in an argument here but I will laugh at all the wrongness!

proof???

westerndragon
05-18-2010, 05:17 PM
so every owners manual and car guide i've ever read is wrong?

wheres the proof to back that up

SikMindz
05-18-2010, 07:44 PM
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Don't know if it's true or not but an interesting read nonetheless.

stewartfn18
05-18-2010, 07:55 PM
so in other words, if one was to do an easy break in, the only way to check and see if the rings sat properly is to do a cylinder leakdown test

SikMindz
05-18-2010, 08:00 PM
so in other words, if one was to do an easy break in, the only way to check and see if the rings sat properly is to do a cylinder leakdown test

To some degree.

I'm not sure to what degree but I can't imagine that ANY car manufacturer is going to release a car that they don't test internally with a QC break-in test. It just seems to be redundant to do it again.

stewartfn18
05-18-2010, 08:06 PM
i did the easy break in. i wonder if im getting kr because of blow by

wrestleandrun
05-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Also, I would just use the normal oil you have used before.... hopefully some kind of synthetic.

Not supposed to use synthetic oil during break in, rings will not seat properly. Just use regular oil at first. Also I've been taught 1k miles on break in but it's your motor, just don't drive it hard at first. I've seen first hand what happens.

And I laugh at your ignorance, you can comment when you actually rebuild or put in a new motor.

SikMindz
05-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Not supposed to use synthetic oil during break in, rings will not seat properly. Just use regular oil at first. Also I've been taught 1k miles on break in but it's your motor, just don't drive it hard at first. I've seen first hand what happens.

And I laugh at your ignorance, you can comment when you actually rebuild or put in a new motor.

Just for the sake of arguing what about engines that come with synthetic from the factory? Will rings just never seat properly in these cases?

That's where the logic fails here in terms of break in. If you subscribe to the mild use for x miles theory then most luxury/exotic cars will never "break-in" properly.

I wouldn't advocate taking it to the track or doing top speed WOT runs with a brand new car/bike but I don't see the point in babying the car during break in. Break in isn't going to fix a poorly built engine off the bat- and like I mentioned I cannot fathom that auto companies don't run the engines prior to delivery.

DrFabulous
05-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Warranty on new engine? Run it hard.

wrestleandrun
05-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Just for the sake of arguing what about engines that come with synthetic from the factory? Will rings just never seat properly in these cases?

That's where the logic fails here in terms of break in. If you subscribe to the mild use for x miles theory then most luxury/exotic cars will never "break-in" properly.

I wouldn't advocate taking it to the track or doing top speed WOT runs with a brand new car/bike but I don't see the point in babying the car during break in. Break in isn't going to fix a poorly built engine off the bat- and like I mentioned I cannot fathom that auto companies don't run the engines prior to delivery.

Pretty sure the didn't always put synthetic oil in every car at start. But newer motors are probably built a little different than older ones. Also had a friend who put a new motor in his el camino didn't baby it and blew the motor. And another friend with buick threw a rod through the block. So that's why people recommend babying the motor, to a certain extent. Guess I was pretty vague on descibing babying or going easy on it but I'll try to type up how I was taught to break-in a motor.

i_ammetal
05-18-2010, 10:49 PM

Still not sure how its safe on a motor to swap from synthetic back to conventional for the break in period.. providing the oil has already circulated throughout the engine from transporting periods... and also how many new cars have you been in with less than 20 miles (the link mentioned the first 20 are crucial to the break in, true or not) on it? None, at least for me. Therefore, this theory is a hard one to actually try.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Don't know if it's true or not but an interesting read nonetheless.

Pretty interesting to say the least.. makes sense mechanically speaking.

wrestleandrun
05-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Still not sure how its safe on a motor to swap from synthetic back to conventional for the break in period.. providing the oil has already circulated throughout the engine from transporting periods... and also how many new cars have you been in with less than 20 miles (the link mentioned the first 20 are crucial to the break in, true or not) on it? None, at least for me. Therefore, this theory is a hard one to actually try.

Pretty interesting to say the least.. makes sense mechanically speaking.

We're talking about a fully rebuilt motor right? If so then they also have break in period oil to use....

i_ammetal
05-19-2010, 12:02 AM
We're talking about a fully rebuilt motor right? If so then they also have break in period oil to use....

Since I'm not very mechanically inclined I don't know what exactly defines a "fully rebuilt motor"... because obviously some parts are cleaned and reused and some are replaced.

If it has all the new components as mentioned throughout this thread then yes it would have a chance to be broke in properly

westerndragon
05-19-2010, 07:16 AM
companies test the motor to make sure it runs but they do not run it for an extended time before delivery

eckoxl
05-19-2010, 08:46 AM
I'm most likely going to buy some convectional, non-synthetic oil from walmart, and keep the engine between 2000-2500 RPM, like stated in my comp cams booklet, for 25 minutes, then change my engine oil for some more convectional, non-synthetic oil for the first 1000 miles. Then after the first 1K, change out to full synthetic.

wrestleandrun
05-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Yep after a while I would recommend going through most your rpm range with your boost turned down.