Trying to get more opinions on repair [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get more opinions on repair

WhiteyGAGT
05-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Hey everyone.
I'm trying to get more opinions on a diagnosis of my cylinder #1 misfire.
First, Ill explain the symptoms I've had for the past week. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed my coolant light came on and I filled it back up. A couple days later it was on again, and the same thing for a little while longer and then it finally stopped showing up. After it stopped showing up, I got a ticking which I've been told could be the lifter.
Even more recently, my car has started shaking whenever I start it up for the first time in a few hours. The shaking goes away as soon as the temp starts to rise. The SES light came on and the next day I went into AutoZone to have them scan my car and it came back as a cylinder #1 misfire. The guy who did it is a family friend and he suggested it was something small like plugs and wires and I can see why because I have never changed them since I got my car. A few other things could be possible too like coils, fuel injector, and the like. He said this because he thought that since it is only 1 cylinder and not many that it shouldn't be anything much bigger.
The yesterday day I dropped it off at a dealership and today they are saying it is probably a blown head gasket and quoted about $1300-1500 for a total repair.
I have read that it's good to do a compression test to see before replacing the gasket. What do you all have to say about this?

westerndragon
05-20-2010, 03:28 PM
if you were losing coolant that fast and it wasn't leaking on the ground it went somewhere and if it all went into the block say bye bye lol check your oil for coolant

WhiteyGAGT
05-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Well, my dad filled it up the first time and he said he might not have filled it enough so I think thats that. The last time we topped it off we made sure it was full and it didn't show back up. A couple days later is when the shaking started so I would imagine it would have been more immediate than that. Unless I' wrong of course :rolleyes:

WhiteyGAGT
05-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Ok, I have an update. About an hour ago I picked up my car from a Keller Motors dealership in my town. Their official diagnosis is "internal antifreeze leak from cylinder heads". That makes sense with the coolant situation.
On my way home, I did not notice that my temperature gauge was climbing up higher as I was driving until my light came on. I then pulled over on the interstate after about 3 miles (and 2 miles from my house) and by the time I noticed and pulled over, the needle was almost as high as it could go. After it cooled down a little bit I drove the rest of the way home with little heating above normal. The coolant light didn't show up until I was about 100 yds from my house and it only stayed on for about 2 seconds.
This has never happened before today's driving but could it be since I haven't done anything with it in a couple days that it could have leaked more than normal? The repair guy said it should be alright to drive occasionally.
Any other input to another possible solution is appreciated too.

Silversmok3
05-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Ok, I have an update. About an hour ago I picked up my car from a Keller Motors dealership in my town. Their official diagnosis is "internal antifreeze leak from cylinder heads". That makes sense with the coolant situation.
On my way home, I did not notice that my temperature gauge was climbing up higher as I was driving until my light came on. I then pulled over on the interstate after about 3 miles (and 2 miles from my house) and by the time I noticed and pulled over, the needle was almost as high as it could go. After it cooled down a little bit I drove the rest of the way home with little heating above normal. The coolant light didn't show up until I was about 100 yds from my house and it only stayed on for about 2 seconds.
This has never happened before today's driving but could it be since I haven't done anything with it in a couple days that it could have leaked more than normal? The repair guy said it should be alright to drive occasionally.
Any other input to another possible solution is appreciated too.

Time for a few tests.

Check your oil. If it looks like milkshake....well, hang on about that.

If the oil looks normal,take your car in (or do it yourself) , and have a coolant pressure test done. That will verify if your head gasket is compromised -or if any other part of the cooling system is fubar.

If your car passes, the next test is the compression test.If any coolant is being burned in the cylinders-or if your block is warped-this will reveal it.

Either way, not a good idea to drive the car. It might be a good idea to tow it to wherever you do the above tests.

Back to your oil-if its milkshaked, coolant has already compromised your oil, and you have a coolant leak within your motor.

Either way, its time to check it out professionally.

WhiteyGAGT
05-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Well I just got back from checking the motor and everything with my papi. We let it sit for about 15 min and checked various things (the coolant tank was virtually empty so we filled that up). One specific question that we weren't sure of is how much condensation or what have you should be in the tail pipes? There was a good amount and we are just trying to figure out if there is a leak going back that far. Also, we checked engine temps and everything and the fans never came on even at a little over 200 degrees. Do they not come on while in park or are they faulty?
Another question, how obvious should the color change of the oil be if it the coolant is leaking in there?

WhiteyGAGT
05-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Well, I am kind of over trying to make it be something smaller of a problem than it is. Now my debate has switched over to the vast majority of people saying it is the LIM to blame and the dealership saying it is the cylinder head gaskets.
I would REALLY like to do this myself but while I may have the spirit, I have never done anything with engines before so I don't have the know how. Even with a walk through, I'd probably be called a fool for trying. The dealership quoted me at $1500. Sound reasonable? The only reason for protesting have them do it is because I don't like the idea of paying a small amount for a part and like $1400 in labor.

cardude007617
05-22-2010, 02:08 PM
you could try a smaller garage. their labor rate should be less, but you're kind of up **** creek. LIM work and headgasket work sucks. the parts are normally 200 bucks total, its just the time it takes to do them that really jacks up the bill. get it done soon though, neither are really leaks to mess with for too long.

94gtowner
05-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Yeah this is not work that you want to do yourself for the first time. But it is worth the effort to shop around to find a good price. Just make sure that wherever you take it to guarantees their work and that they are a reputable repair facility. This isn't the kind of repair that you want "bubblegummed" together. Nor do you want to try this yourself since you have not done this sort of work before. In the long run I think you'll be happy to let someone else tackle this. Don't drive the car though until you get it repaired! Running it low enough on coolant that the fans aren't kicking on (the sensor isn't picking up the temp of the coolant since their isn't any flowing over it) could be doing MAJOR damage. Could also be a problem in the cooling fan circuit... get ti diagnosed too before the repairs of the head(s) are done so you don't end up with any unexpected cost surprises.

WhiteyGAGT
05-23-2010, 03:36 PM
LIM work and headgasket work sucks. the parts are normally 200 bucks total, its just the time it takes to do them that really jacks up the bill.
That's basically what bothers me about the repair.

Don't drive the car though until you get it repaired! Running it low enough on coolant that the fans aren't kicking on (the sensor isn't picking up the temp of the coolant since their isn't any flowing over it) could be doing MAJOR damage.

For now I'm driving someone elses car. The only time I will be driving mine is when I take it in to get repaired but I'll fill it up with coolant so it doesn't overheat again.

What are some prices that I should accept? I would imagine naturally that dealers would charge more but either way, any shop would probably use GM brand and I wouldn't be able to get the Felpro which sounds like the only way to go.

evulhotdog
04-30-2011, 03:25 PM
This is not the same exact thing thats happening to my car, but I am getting the overheating, randomly, i took a look at the coolant reservoir and I could see the bottom. So chances are it was low, as im assuming you shouldnt be able to see that.

My car overheated on the freeway and got all the way into red. I turned the car off for a minute, and turned it back on and the temp gauge went exactly to where it was supposed to be. It was completely fine on the way home. I should note that my heat wasnt previously working, once it overheated, and the temp went back down, the heat came on....and I just replaced my thermostat.

What did you end up doing whiteyGAGT?