Replacing Antenna [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Antenna

Lanc1988
05-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Hello, I just bought a short universal antenna off ebay and when I tried to put it on today the screw is too big. It came with 4 additional screws and one matches perfectly with the size of the one on my grand am but I can't see any way of removing the screw thats already there.. is it possible to do this?

juanvan
05-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Is it that small rubber type - I think I had to use a pair of grips to get it off.

Lanc1988
05-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Not sure what you mean by rubber type.. but anyway, i am able to take off the stock antenna and then there is that screw type thing that was holding the antenna on but it is took big for the new one i bought. But the new antenna came with a couple different screws but I can't figure out if the screw that is used for the stock antenna will 'unscrew' or if it is somehow part of the car... hopefully that makes sense..

WidbyJ
05-22-2010, 07:27 PM
The screw/stud that sticks out is part of the antenna base and should stay there. That is how the signal gets to the radio. The new antennna should just screw on (just like when they take it off at the fancy carwash).

Lanc1988
05-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Ok.. then apparently the 'universal antenna' I bought isn't universal.. it came with 4 additional screws that can be used like adapters I guess but since the screw that sticks out is part of the base then I guess it isn't going to work.

i_ammetal
05-23-2010, 01:21 AM
:worthless

It should just screw in the stock piece if its really a GM universal antenna

Lanc1988
05-23-2010, 01:25 AM
It didn't say GM universal antenna.. just universal.. it is this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230325179353&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Like I said it came with screw adapters to use with it but it appears the stock screw that is attached to the rubber piece doesn't unscrew so that I can use them.. unless it is just really tightly screwed in.

(if pictures will help I can take them.. what would you like pictures of?)