Anyone with '04 manual? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with '04 manual?

AaronGTR
05-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Does anyone on here have a service manual for 2004 up grand am/alero? Preferably a factory one. Wondering if someone can look up some info for me. Need the diagnostic info for DTC code P0520 and circuit description/operation for the oil pressure switch if possible.

Was doing some tuning on stewartfn18's car yesterday and P0520 kept coming up. My 2000 manual doesn't even have that code in it and apparently it's not active in my bin. Searched online and found it's universal OBD2 code for "oil pressure sensor/switch circuit malfunction". A single reference I found mentioned it could cause idle control problems in some cars... perhaps the computer tries to shut the engine off if it doesn't see correct oil pressure or something, I don't know.

Anyway, he doesn't have his factory oil pressure switch in anymore. On a 99-00 you can remove that switch with no adverse affect other than not having the idiot light. Of course every time you turn the ignition key to "on" before you crank the motor, there is no oil pressure yet so that switch closes and the oil light stays on until you start the car. My guess is that some time after 2000 GM added the P0520 code and now that his PCM doesn't see that switch activating before start up it's throwing the code every time.

We turned off the code for now, but he was having some trouble keeping the car running at idle without giving it throttle, even after turning the code off... I'm just wondering if that could have something to do with it and if he needs to get that sensor and put it back in?

zukiracer19
05-24-2010, 04:34 PM
i looked it up, says could be shorting out, or bad ground, if that doesnt work most likely sensor is going.

zukiracer19
05-24-2010, 04:35 PM
P0520-ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR CIRCUIT

* When Monitored: Ignition on, engine not running.
* Set Condition: The PCM senses the oil pressure is out of the calibrated range.

Possible Causes
ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO BATTERY VOLTAGE
RESISTANCE IN ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT
ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
RESISTANCE IN (F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
RESISTANCE IN THE (K900) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR
PCM

if connections are OK, most likely the sensor.

Malaclypse
05-24-2010, 05:01 PM
I can't say for sure that your problem isn't related to the oil pressure sensor not being there.

I can, however, tell you from experience that I've dealt with cars that had that code and had no stalling concerns to speak of.

I checked codes on the vehicles I mention and it had a P0520 set as failed/current. Yet there were no adverse affects.

stewartfn18
05-24-2010, 05:02 PM
yea zuki. i dont have my stock sender in. i ditched it when i got the autometer gauge