Possible Security problem. HELP ASAP!!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Possible Security problem. HELP ASAP!!!

GrandAmMe
05-24-2010, 08:43 PM
So I just went out to start the GAGT. Fired once or twice then just kept cranking. When the key would be turned to the ACC position the security light would flash. As soon as i would try to crank it would go off but then come back on as soon as i stopped cranking it. Sounds like the Passlock problem? Please help!

KillNThrill24
05-24-2010, 08:49 PM
http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm hope that helps

350rs
05-24-2010, 08:49 PM
yessir.

lock,unlock,unlock, key to on for 10-12 mins. Security light should go out and SHOULD start up. Its just a bandaid though. Need to find out the cause asap.

GrandAmMe
05-24-2010, 09:09 PM
http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm hope that helps

Actually yes i found that website 3 mins after it happend and followed the "KEY ON 10 MIN". Started fine and then started great 2 times after i moved it. Im looking at three options now.

-Cut that yellow wire while running-Security light always on

-Buy a cheap remote car starter with a passlock bypass

-Resist the sh!t out of it-Don't feel like doing that

The only reason I dont feel like buying a new tumbler is because the guy replaced it 3 months before i bought it in December 08. I have a feeling its just going to fail again.

ALSO, The website you sent me is exactly what happend to me. The "Security" light came on about 2 weeks ago and now this is happening. Great :applause:

KillNThrill24
05-24-2010, 09:23 PM
well im glad it helped. wish i could tell you the best option.. but i surprisingly havnt had any issues with mine yet. id start by cutting the yellow wire tho. worst that could happen is nothing and you end up having to re strip the wire and re connect it. i think you should go in order of how you just listed it lol. start with the wire, then remote starter. and ya doing the whole resisting thing gets tricky ha so try for the easiest way out

GrandAmMe
05-24-2010, 09:48 PM
well im glad it helped. wish i could tell you the best option.. but i surprisingly havnt had any issues with mine yet. id start by cutting the yellow wire tho. worst that could happen is nothing and you end up having to re strip the wire and re connect it. i think you should go in order of how you just listed it lol. start with the wire, then remote starter. and ya doing the whole resisting thing gets tricky ha so try for the easiest way out

Yeah. If it happens again then i will be def fixing it. Thanks man!

westerndragon
05-25-2010, 06:42 AM
easiest fix is the remote start option you can buy it and get it installed for about 50 bucks then you dont have to play with resistors and wires.

GrandAmMe
05-25-2010, 01:12 PM
easiest fix is the remote start option you can buy it and get it installed for about 50 bucks then you dont have to play with resistors and wires.

$50 :O

The cheapest I can find is somewhere around the $100 area. This morning and a few starts after that it hasnt done it again. Im not keeping my hopes up though.

Y2KGA
05-25-2010, 04:12 PM
The reason that passlock stops working is that the pins on the ignition cylinder get tarnished. This causes the signal to change.

The easiest and cheapest way to fix this problem is to remove the cylinder and put it back in a few times. This cleans the pins and makes a better connection.

I had my switch changed in 06 because of passlock. Last summer it started acting up again. I removed the switch and reseated it a few times. Its been fine for almost a year now.

Doing this is only a temporary solution as the pins will probably get tarnished again. However I think its a better solution than cutting wires and soldering. It also leaves the security system intact and its free.

Removing the switch is pretty easy. Do a search for instructions.

GrandAmMe
05-25-2010, 07:33 PM
The reason that passlock stops working is that the pins on the ignition cylinder get tarnished. This causes the signal to change.

The easiest and cheapest way to fix this problem is to remove the cylinder and put it back in a few times. This cleans the pins and makes a better connection.

I had my switch changed in 06 because of passlock. Last summer it started acting up again. I removed the switch and reseated it a few times. Its been fine for almost a year now.

Doing this is only a temporary solution as the pins will probably get tarnished again. However I think its a better solution than cutting wires and soldering. It also leaves the security system intact and its free.

Removing the switch is pretty easy. Do a search for instructions.

Thanks man, I will be sure to look this up.

iceman1793
06-15-2010, 06:41 AM
I had the same problem. As I was driving the security light kept coming on. I went online and I read an article where it stated to change the car key. There is an electrical charge in the key and over the years it starts to lose the charge. I had a spare key and tried it and the light never came back on. I would try this first and see if it works. I think it's worth a try before having to cut any wires.

westerndragon
06-15-2010, 07:04 AM
$50 :O

The cheapest I can find is somewhere around the $100 area. This morning and a few starts after that it hasnt done it again. Im not keeping my hopes up though.

buy it and install your self its not super hard

stillriza
06-15-2010, 07:51 AM
It's actually pretty engaging to install yourself if you dont have any experience especially if you cant read the principle wiring diagram. I couldn't get around to do it myself and I am pretty inclined with electronics. I found the schematics almost impossible to follow for the install.

You will not find anyone to install it for you for less than $100 in your area. Any install shop will tell you they will need an adapter or harness due to passlock.

I ran into your issue a little over a year ago. I purchased an alarm and starter. After finding out the cheapest place to install was roughly $300 plus the labour, I sold the alarm here and returned the starter.

I used the (Cut that yellow wire while running-Security light always on) trick. Search 'Passlock' and you will see a post with instructions that I followed.

Also, the security light will not stay on. You are though effectively dissabling passlock with the yellow wire trick. So you won't have any issues in the future with passlock..unless your ignition module/cylinder ever goes bad but that isn't related to what your doing with the yellow wire. I've been good ever since. I've had the security light come up once in a blue moon and disappear but never any issues.

When you end up with enough cash, you can always undo what you did and go with a new starter or alarm combo.

westerndragon
06-15-2010, 09:05 AM
the auto start i bought was equipped with passlock 1 & 2 bypass built into the system...i paid 53$ and installed it myself in just under an hour....thats crap that they NEED an adapter harness they only need it if you buy a system w/o the bypass

stillriza
06-15-2010, 10:02 AM
the auto start i bought was equipped with passlock 1 & 2 bypass built into the system...i paid 53$ and installed it myself in just under an hour....thats crap that they NEED an adapter harness they only need it if you buy a system w/o the bypass

That is insanely cheep. Could you provide a model or make of the system you purchased?

westerndragon
06-15-2010, 10:52 AM
http://www.amazon.com/GM-Self-Learning-Passlock-Override/dp/B000WB0VXS

that one is only a bypass w/o remote but thats where i got my starter