how easy to fix? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : how easy to fix?

young gun
05-28-2010, 05:14 PM
# 2 and 5 coil and plug wires?

Background:

First time i had a problem car felt like it was shaking and so i sat there figuring it was just cold. SES came on. turned it off then turned it back on and no problem. didn't worry about it. recently it did it again and it felt like a misfire. so i took it in and was told i need # 2/5 coil and plug wires for $409 plus tax. Really don't want to pay that much and i was wondering how easy this was to fix with some help of a friend.

wrestleandrun
05-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Never replaced coils, but plug wires aren't too bad. Just wait for your motor to cool and pull them out one at a time with the replacement. Some might be on there good so if your not strong get a friend who is. Also before putting them back on use di-electric grease, it will also make it easier if you have to remove it again too.

thormxkid
05-28-2010, 10:31 PM
very easy 2 bolts

young gun
05-29-2010, 12:22 AM
sorry i know search button. but does anyone want to give a little run down on how to?

AaronGTR
05-29-2010, 11:49 AM
$409 plus tax?!!! F*** that! Don't ever go back to that shop again. Depending on the brand and if you want OEM or performance stuff, you can get an ignition coil for $30-60 and an entire set of plug wires for $25-50. You are looking at a price range from $55 cheapest to $110 at the most for parts. And the coil is easy as hell to replace. Take out two small bolts, pull the old one off and put the new one on, put bolts back in... done. Less than 1/2 hours labor for one coil and plug wires, and they were gonna charge you $300 labor! lol

westerndragon
05-29-2010, 01:00 PM
yeah did they tell you they might have to loosen one of the mounts to do it :-)

and if your gonna do packs and wires might as well check your plugs and go all out :-)

young gun
05-29-2010, 04:11 PM
haha it was a dealership. But going performance so replacing all three coils and the wires. got new plugs so not changing those. but not finding good deals, currently got a tab open on MSD's products and my cart total is $240(3 coils and 8.5mm super cond. wires) :/ seems a little steep

young gun
05-29-2010, 04:32 PM
oh and i already got BWD coils(OEM basically as i was told) and some BWD plug wires pep boys top of the line! :P for roughly $140. but i would like some MSD's cause from what i'm getting from around the communtiy they are pretty much the best for our cars.

technically only $110 after i return the one coil because i only need two if i'm getting OEM

AaronGTR
05-30-2010, 08:37 AM
If your car is mostly stock, don't waste the money on MSD coils. You won't see any gains at all... zero. The stock ignition system is actually very strong and can support a lot of HP with no mods. Just get yourself another stock coil, and the MSD wires if you want them, and save some cash. :thumbs:

young gun
05-30-2010, 12:13 PM
alright thanks :)

young gun
05-30-2010, 03:38 PM
i quit. i hate my car (more the fact that there is something wrong every god D@m month. put all three coils in. new plug wires, plugs are only a monthish old. did wires one at a time so they are correct. now i get a SES light and its cylinder 1 misfire. Did what i was told needed to be fixed and now its worse. taking it back to the shop tuesday.

westerndragon
05-31-2010, 08:14 AM
well unfortunatly with all cars sometimes they develop gremlins mine had a brake pad gremlin for a bit untill i found the drivers side caliper had a very very slightly bent slide bolt sticking up the caliper (never would have known until i put them side by side.)

gl with it i would have replaced all the coils at once personally its like only doing one side of your suspension....