A/C - R134A refill? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : A/C - R134A refill?

2000Gt Grand Am
06-07-2010, 01:42 PM
So my A/C stopped working in my 00' GAGT & i thought it was my refrigerant getting low so i went to an autopart store to pick up a connector & some R134a. Well it did something, for awhile anyways but then it stopped working so i went again & got a bigger can & did the same thing.. it wouldn't work at all.

Since i had a $500 giftcard from a Chevy dealer that also fixes Pontiacs i took it there, told the service guy what was up & he said you don't ever need to add the R134a stuff to my car ever, unless you have a leak. And he was like well you haven't had an issue with your a/c since you bought it right? No, there wasn't it worked fine for 7 years & it seemed legit. So i went back to the auto part store to see if i could tell the guy that sold me the a/c r134a. But i couldn't cuz he was busy so another guy came up & of course i wanted to warn the manager about selling this kinda stuff to Grand Am owners & he told me, no you lose the refrigerant over time cuz 'this' & 'this' expands & contracts or whatever he told me in the compressor & over time you lose refrigerant & now im just getting a little upset cuz the Chevy dealer service guy told me a different story. The autozone guy told me that Chevy is just trying to rip me off. I kinda have to believe Chevy though because my AC wasn't working even though i had already put a can into it.

So i already am thinking Autozone is the one ripping me off here, but from Pontiac & GM owners, do you ever need to recharge your A/C compressor? Other then from a leak?

rocketfast123
06-07-2010, 02:01 PM
If it leaks yes you need to put more in. And yes things do expand & contract. Most leaks will come from the compressor. If you don't use your a/c like 10mins a week the compressor seals get dry and gas leaks out. That's why you see oil/dirt on some compressors. You are better off going to a shop that does free a/c check up.

Saber326
06-07-2010, 04:27 PM
the ONLY time you will lose refrigerant is if you have a leak. this can be either due to a bad compressor or a bad o-ring or gasket somewhere in the system. recharging will only be a temporary fix until it all leaks out again. you need to find out what the issue is.

Pauljp
06-07-2010, 05:17 PM
I have an 03GAGT and never had the AC serviced.
I haven't used it in 3 years. I like to drive with the window down.
But last week was brutally hot here and I finally had to turn it on for the first time in 3 years and it worked like a charm.
I only needed it for the 2 days and now the temp is not as bad outside, so I don't need to use it again.
No problems in 7 years.

Y2KGA
06-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Autozone wasn't ripping you off but the chevy dealer wasn't lying either. The a/c system is a sealed system that doesn't need recharging unless there is a leak. However you could have a small leak or a large leak. If its a small leak that $30 can of R134 could last most of the summer. Thats very reasonable compared to the cost of having it repaired especially considering its a 10 year old car.

Malaclypse
06-07-2010, 06:02 PM
the ONLY time you will lose refrigerant is if you have a leak. this can be either due to a bad compressor or a bad o-ring or gasket somewhere in the system. recharging will only be a temporary fix until it all leaks out again. you need to find out what the issue is.

Not necessarily true as stated above. The refrigerant service fittings do leak a little refrigerant over time. The caps on those ports are meant to be the final barrier for leakage...

Just imagine though, a hand screw on plastic cap vs 100 - 300 psi of a/c line pressure. Its going to leak.

Your best bet is to have the a/c system proffessionaly serviced. Their machine is the only one that can recover ALL the old refrigerant, vacuum the system down proper and charge it to the proper amount.

You may have added some yourself but there's no telling if the system is still underfilled or overfilled.

stillriza
06-07-2010, 06:08 PM
But last week was brutally hot here and I finally had to turn it on for the first time in 3 years and it worked like a charm.
I only needed it for the 2 days and now the temp is not as bad outside, so I don't need to use it again.
No problems in 7 years.

Same situation as you...except when I went to turn it on the other day..it wasn't blowing cold air anymore.. You can hear the compressor cycle on and off but no cold air.

So I picked up a $15 small can of stop leak/refrigerant and will give that a shot.

rocketfast123
06-08-2010, 12:08 AM
You may have added some yourself but there's no telling if the system is still underfilled or overfilled.

You need gauges or a can with that reusable top with a gauge on it. It's pretty easy to do. To much 134 and your will not cool.

No problems in 7 years.

haha look were you stay at. But then again the a/c does come on when you defrost the windshield. 7 years is not that long. My car, an 01 still cold, my mother's 97 Malibu still cold. Grand dad's 94 fleetwood, r12 still blowing cold.

Same situation as you...except when I went to turn it on the other day..it wasn't blowing cold air anymore.. You can hear the compressor cycle on and off but no cold air.

So I picked up a $15 small can of stop leak/refrigerant and will give that a shot.

I would take it to a shop and have them vacuum it out, and test for leaks. Moisture in a a/c system is very bad. When you go to add 134 yourself, the system will suck it in. On the plastic head light cover it should how much should go in, and it says it in the manual.

2000Gt Grand Am
06-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Well i overcharged the refrigerant, the A/C compressor wasn't turning on & even with the gauge (difficult to read with a short hose) i wouldn't get an accurate reading unless the A/C was running. The compressor was checked to see if it was working.. its fine. So now it's something electrical.

Not necessarily true as stated above. The refrigerant service fittings do leak a little refrigerant over time. The caps on those ports are meant to be the final barrier for leakage...

Just imagine though, a hand screw on plastic cap vs 100 - 300 psi of a/c line pressure. Its going to leak.

The plastic cap isn't doing anything other then covering it to keep dirt out. Those service fittings are similar to a tire stem no air gets out unless your playing with the stem. The air pressure does escape with a tire over time but 7 years without an AC recharge? Then when i did it was way overcharged.

Your best bet is to have the a/c system proffessionaly serviced. Their machine is the only one that can recover ALL the old refrigerant, vacuum the system down proper and charge it to the proper amount.

Your right though, the a/c system should be professionally serviced. It might be expensive but i obviously didn't know i still had refrigerant.

2000Gt Grand Am
06-08-2010, 12:58 PM
No problems in 7 years.

Yep, except i got bad regulators on the front door windows. The drivers side works half of the time although i prefer that one rolled up so i can listen to music without the wind screaming in my ear (average 45mph drive). I did find a video on how to take the door paneling off & what the regulators look like so that'll be next on my list to get fixed. As long as nothing else goes wrong with my car.

GA2000GTSpeed
06-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Okay i just got done with a Auto Climate systems class... You do not loose refrigerant over time, it's a sealed system. i have had a car that set out in a field for 8 years and the a/c still works alright. Now if you add refrigerant when you don't have a leak your going to overcharge it and it won't cool good well at all.

The EPA has some pretty strong guidelines on A/C systems, and theres refrigerant additives that parts stores sell that the EPA list as unacceptable, also the EPA can fine people that are not certified to service A/C systems.

now auto part stores don't care if you need the refrigerant or not, they just want to sell you stuff. if you have a leak, don't just add more FIX THE LEAK. it will save so much time and money.

Also the service ports do not leak, unless they are damaged. The service port caps are just there as a back up and to keep dirt out of the ports.

Malaclypse
06-08-2010, 06:15 PM
The plastic cap isn't doing anything other then covering it to keep dirt out. Those service fittings are similar to a tire stem no air gets out unless your playing with the stem. The air pressure does escape with a tire over time but 7 years without an AC recharge? Then when i did it was way overcharged.

Its funny you say that.. As I was told in my GM ASEP classes, the ports do leak a very small amount of refrigerant over time. Also that the plastic cap is the final seal of the system.

I've checked many vehicles over the course of 8 years using a halogen leak detector and have found the vast majority of them to have very small and sporadic leaks at the service fittings. This is particularly true of the low side fitting which, until recently, was nothing more than a schrader core similar to the one in the valve stem of a tire.

Okay i just got done with a Auto Climate systems class... You do not loose refrigerant over time, it's a sealed system.

Just because an engineer designs it to be a sealed system does not make it so. I'm sure the EPA would have a **** fit if they knew alot of vehicles leak small amounts of refrigerant not long after production. However, I doubt they have the resources to prove it. Even if they could I'm sure the car manufacturers would simply claim lack of maintainence.

2000Gt Grand Am
06-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Its funny you say that.. As I was told in my GM ASEP classes, the ports do leak a very small amount of refrigerant over time. Also that the plastic cap is the final seal of the system.

Exactly, but how little does it leaks? Does it leak at all when the cap is on? At least with my car it didn't leak much if at all. It's a 2000 & it's the first i have had an issue with the AC. I would be more worried about the seals on the compressor failing.

rocketfast123
06-09-2010, 01:12 AM
Well i overcharged the refrigerant, the A/C compressor wasn't turning on & even with the gauge (difficult to read with a short hose) i wouldn't get an accurate reading unless the A/C was running. The compressor was checked to see if it was working.. its fine. So now it's something electrical.

Well you know its hard to get them gauges on sometimes.

rocketfast123
06-09-2010, 01:22 AM
Okay i just got done with a Auto Climate systems class... You do not loose refrigerant over time, it's a sealed system. i have had a car that set out in a field for 8 years and the a/c still works alright. Now if you add refrigerant when you don't have a leak your going to overcharge it and it won't cool good well at all.

The EPA has some pretty strong guidelines on A/C systems, and theres refrigerant additives that parts stores sell that the EPA list as unacceptable, also the EPA can fine people that are not certified to service A/C systems.

now auto part stores don't care if you need the refrigerant or not, they just want to sell you stuff. if you have a leak, don't just add more FIX THE LEAK. it will save so much time and money.

Also the service ports do not leak, unless they are damaged. The service port caps are just there as a back up and to keep dirt out of the ports.

You went to a better school than me. lol I'm going for HVAC. But the only true sealed system is every thing but car a/c. I'm not gonna start talking about EPA.

2000Gt Grand Am
06-11-2010, 07:33 PM
So i fixed the problem. The PCM shorted out & the pressure sensor was bad so i got those fixed... but something else went wrong, the remote won't work anymore.. had the remote tested & it works fine but it doesn't seem to work on the cars end. When i had the PCM replaced could something got knocked loose?

Malaclypse
06-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Was it the PCM that was replaced or the BCM? Because the PCM has nothing to do with remote keyless.

2000Gt Grand Am
06-12-2010, 10:24 AM
PCM, the battery was also taken off.. when i got my car back the presets on my stereo was back to factory presets.