Starter problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Starter problems

GA2000GTSpeed
06-09-2010, 01:21 AM
So last fall i replaced my starter with a duralast gold starter from autozone. today it just went out again and i had to get it towed back home. now heres the question, what the hell is frying my starter? could coolant and or oil getting on it be causing it?

I have had a lim leak that i fixed, and oil from my supercharger... i didn't know if that would affect it at all.

GA2000GTSpeed
06-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Took the starter into autozone today and had it tested... It passes but it was making a weird noise so the salesman just warranty swapped it since i have a lifetime warranty on the starter.

Malaclypse
06-09-2010, 09:42 PM
It failed because its a cheapo duralast.

Three things I'll NEVER buy aftermarket... Alternators, starters and a/c compressors.

GA2000GTSpeed
06-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Well Duralast must be proud of it since it came with a lifetime warranty... or realized they sell defective parts from time to time.

Malaclypse
06-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Well Duralast must be proud of it since it came with a lifetime warranty... or realized they sell defective parts from time to time.

This is basically the case. They use cheaper components in the reman process in the beginning. That way you can pay a little extra for the lifetime warranty and they can reman it again... but still make money.

The rub with that is how many times do you want to be stranded and what is your time worth to replace the starter every two years?

ltpats
06-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Duralast Gold starters are new, not remanufactured or rebuilt.

westerndragon
06-11-2010, 12:43 PM
yeah only the first time you buy one....a warranty swap is not for a new off the shelf alt...ask any parts store

Grandamgtblk99
06-11-2010, 01:35 PM
yeah only the first time you buy one....a warranty swap is not for a new off the shelf alt...ask any parts store

If you buy brand new, you will receive a brand new starter when warranty swapped. I'm a manager at Auto Zone, so I would know.

westerndragon
06-11-2010, 01:43 PM
well theres the first problem lol autozone up here is the most expensive place to get parts and i wont do business with them after a wheel hub fiasco (speed sensor clip broke off) and they ****ed me around for two months before replacing it claiming it was installation error (it was replaced professionally at the same time my struts and tires we done) and the warranty states that a "new" one will be replaced only if a suitable rebuild cannot be found.

your stores policy is overriding the warranty for better business ethics which is excellent imo. so :applause: for you guys in TX but its not so elsewhere

Malaclypse
06-11-2010, 04:50 PM
You know, even working at a dealership I've seen very few actual BRAND NEW starters or alternators. Even GM rebuilds there's after a vehicle has been out a few years.

ltpats
06-12-2010, 02:40 PM

I worked at the Zone for 7years part time. If you bought a Durlast Gold starter and it failed, you bring it backand you get a new off the shelf Duralast Gold Starter, not a lesser quality starter. If that happened to you then you should complain to corporate. As for your wheel hub bearing they have a 1 year warranty, you could have fought that with corporate too believe me they will kiss your butt.