low brake pedal after changing calipers [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : low brake pedal after changing calipers

mjtr21
06-11-2010, 05:18 PM
ok so i went and ordered the camaro calipers, brackets, pads, and impala rotors. i installed them earlier today and everything went well until it came to bleeding the brakes. i have replaced calipers before so i know how to bleed them but for the life of me i can not build up any brake pressure now. i have bled them 3 times with no luck. there is plenty of fluid coming out of the valves too. anyone have any clues as to what to look for now?

SuburbGT
06-11-2010, 11:43 PM
check the lines and around the seals on the calipers for leaks...also, try bleeding the rears if you haven't. not sure what else to look for

edit: prolly better to check the fluid level first. if it's low, fill it then try, if it goes down again then find the leak

mjtr21
06-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Yeah i checked all the hoses and there aren't any leaks. The calipers look fine to me also. I only changed the front brakes so I wouldn't think I need to touch the rears. If I can't figure this out I'm just going to bring it to a shop and have them bleed the entire system because I haven't had that done in about 5 years. I think I'm due for some new fluid anyways.

skifreak122
06-13-2010, 06:52 AM
You need to bleed the brakes at all 4 corners. right rear, left rear, right front, left front.

mjtr21
06-20-2010, 10:09 AM
ok problem solved! i figured out that i had the brake pads in the wrong positions. i researched and found that the front camaro pads are installed by putting the pad with the wear indicator on the outside and on the trailing end, then the other pad goes on the inside. switched them up and took it for a ride and damn i have awesome brakes again. i am however going to bring it to the local brake shop and have them flush and bleed my brakes out cause that fluid was dirty!