a/c clutch not getting power [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : a/c clutch not getting power

angelashley
06-12-2010, 01:39 PM
My a/c clutch isn't kicking in. Checked the fuse, swapped relays out. Pulled the plug off the clutch and neither wire has power on it when the dash switch is turned on. Would this be my dash switch or is there something else that could cause this. Just wanted to get some input before I pulled my dash out.

ltpats
06-12-2010, 02:22 PM
[QUOTE=angelashley;1127222]My a/c clutch isn't kicking in. Checked the fuse, swapped relays out. Pulled the plug off the clutch and neither wire has power on it when the dash switch is turned off. Would this be my dash switch or is there something else that could cause this. Just wanted to get some input before I pulled my dash out.[/QUOTE

With the dashswitch turned off I don't think you will have power at the compressor. Mine keeps blowing fuses and if I put a higher amp fuse (which I know is a no no) the clutch will engage but not stay engaged so my clutch \ coil is messed up otherwise I'd go out and check for ya

angelashley
06-12-2010, 02:34 PM
My mistake, I meant when the switch is ON both of the clutch wires are dead. Obviously if the switch was off it wouldn't be getting power.

WidbyJ
06-12-2010, 06:03 PM
It may be that you HVAC panel needs to be cleaned/rebuilt. There is a write-up around here somewhere...

One of the relays in the fuse assembly under the hood is also involved. You may need to replace it. I pulled my relay, tore out the guts and attached a pair of wires so I can force the compressor to come on.

rustyballs_69
06-12-2010, 07:06 PM
If the system is low enough on freon you wont get power to the compressor, fail safe so you don't burn up the compressor.

GA2000GTSpeed
06-12-2010, 08:02 PM
The compressor will not kick on at all. A/C systems have at least 1 sensor monitoring pressure. i know GA's have one at the high side service port (not sure if theres more). but if pressure drops to low, or gets to high of pressure it shuts off the power to the compressor clutch.

Have someone you know with automotive A/C gauges or a shop check it. and you more then likely have a leak somewhere.

Has the A/C worked recently or is this the first time you've used it this summer?

angelashley
06-13-2010, 09:41 AM
A/Cs been working fine for a couple months. This is a sudden problem so I think its more to do with electrical than being low on r134. I'll have it checked out anyway. Didn't show any signs of a leak, no residue anywhere on the compressor or lines, blew ice cold one day then wouldn't work the next morning.

angelashley
06-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Pulled the dash apart and checked all the wires on the back of the HVAC panel with a test light. Theres no change in which wires have power and which dont. I would think with the a/c switch turned on there would be power on another wire telling the ac clutch to kick in.

westerndragon
06-13-2010, 11:15 AM
get the compressor tested its the easiest thing you can do and if the lines and compressor are fine THEN go electrical....leave it to a chick to fix it backwards lol :)

angelashley
06-13-2010, 02:10 PM
a/c works now, low on r134. Got it charged for free so I'm going to drive it and it if leaks out I'll go from there. I can park my G8 and drive the paid off clunker. Forgive me for checking what I could in the driveway before I went to my mechanic buddy for help.

ltpats
06-13-2010, 03:16 PM
My mistake, I meant when the switch is ON both of the clutch wires are dead. Obviously if the switch was off it wouldn't be getting power.

Nothing is obvious on here lol

GA2000GTSpeed
06-13-2010, 08:26 PM
so if you got it charged and it now works... so that means you had a leak. a leak can be a sudden problem. when you get a hole in a pressurized system its going to leak out within a day or two if its a small hole or all at once if its a big leak.

If your trying to troubleshoot a problem, start with the simple stuff, and the mechanical stuff then work your way back from the part to the electrical and then the controller...