A/C compressor question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : A/C compressor question

Metallman56
06-18-2010, 12:11 AM
ok so of course my a/c doesnt work when i go to use it after winter. but i'm not sure why. i'm pretty sure its my a/c comprssor, but one has never gone out on me before. when i turn the a/c on, nothing happens. normally the engine bogs down a little, but now i have nothing. all i get is warm air like its not even on.

i've never replaced anything on the a/c system sense i have bought it. no hoses, or even added freeon (sp). i just want to make sure the compressor is the problem before i replace it. i'll admit the a/c and heating system i know very little about.

any help would be awesome. thanks guys.

Metallman56
06-23-2010, 06:53 PM
a bump for help

Malaclypse
06-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Take it to a shop and get it looked at. Otherwise you're just throwing money away.

DrFabulous
06-23-2010, 10:26 PM
I tried to screw with my AC compressor on my Focus, its a huge pain if you don't know 100% what you are doing. I ended up just having a local shop throw a used compressor on there and recharge the thing for like $250.

Metallman56
06-26-2010, 08:24 AM
ok thanks guys

westerndragon
06-26-2010, 11:40 AM
if the seals are gone in the compressor then you need a new one but you might be able to squeek by with a recharge kit if the leak isnt horrible most of the kits have seal conditioner and stopleak in them try the 20$ kit before you blow your wad on a compressor

Dan2010s
07-18-2010, 11:58 PM
Hey guys, I didn't want to start a new thread and this is the closest near topic I can find...

When I turn on my HVAC it immediately starts to rattle. It's a very distinct and loud rattling noise and it turns off as soon as I turn the a/c off. Could this be the A/C compressor or belt tensioner? When I turn it off it sounds like a pssst and goes away so it's the source of the problem. I looked under the hood and there is no real shaking when it's on opposed to when it's off. Everything looks in order except for the noise. It also hurts my performance a lot more than usual. Thanks for any ideas, I don't want a shop to fix it. I just need to know what it is so I can.

bricooper78
07-19-2010, 12:02 AM
the only thing that pops in my head would be the clutch in the a/c compressor itself, but you should be able to hear/see it under the hood. but if that is any help at all. the clutch kicks in and the inner portion of the pulley will spin along with the outer portion that the belt rides along.

that clutch "kicks on and off" the system, if maybe something is up with that causing a vibration or a lockup/seize thing, which would drag the belt and slow down the rotation, and probably drop your power.

there's a shot for ya at least, hope it helps

Dan2010s
07-19-2010, 07:41 AM
It makes complete sense, thanks I'll look into replacing the clutch or possibly the whole thing.

ltpats
07-19-2010, 12:56 PM
I assume the Compressor clutch is not engaging? If not check the fuse and relay, you can switch the A\C relay with the horn relay just to see if the A\C relay is bad. If all of that is good and your getting power down to the clutch then most likely you have either a bad clutch or compressor. Your better off replacing the whole compressor, I picked up a brand new AC Delco for $250.00. Changing it isn't that bad but I have access to an evacuation /recharge machine which you will need to do the job right. Good luck

bricooper78
07-19-2010, 12:59 PM
yes having the stuff makes it way easier than using the cans and guessing when it's full lol we did that switch on a buddy's suburban and it wasn't all that fun. and it was right up top in front on a normal sitting motor, i venture to guess ours are a little more difficult