HELP! Headlights/projectors wont turn off! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Headlights/projectors wont turn off!

99blackgagt
06-20-2010, 08:34 PM
ok, so after i turned my car off, took the keys out, and the car was completely shut off, my headlights will stay on for hours...i keep messing with the switch on the turn signal lever and they dont even flicker on and off, they just stay on...I have aftermarket HID projector headlights and have had them on for 2 years now...and they have worked great..

So, now i have to disconnect my battery or the headlights will stay on all night....this has only happened for the past two nights and i have no idea why...somebody who is good with wiring, etc please help me. OH and i replaced the DRL fuse in the fuse box, nothing happened differently.

99blackgagt
06-21-2010, 12:42 PM
somebody please help...has this happened to anyone else? as soon as i plug the battery back in, just the HID ballasts come on, not the parking lights or brights

Exodus
06-21-2010, 12:54 PM
I would try googling it...

99blackgagt
06-21-2010, 03:27 PM
i have tried but nobodyhas had this problem with a grand am or I cant find any searches that match it...i dont get what it could be

99blackgagt
06-21-2010, 09:27 PM
i tried messing around with tons of fuses tonight and also COULD IT BE A BAD MULTIFUNCTION SWITCH? (the switch on the left side of the steering column that is for headlights and turn signals?) I am going to take it into diagnostics tomorrow and probably empty my wallet....AWESOME

99blackgagt
06-22-2010, 07:15 AM
had to take the left and right headlight fuses out so that they wouldnt turn on today and i could leave the battery attached...hope someone can help me here

Pauljp
06-22-2010, 08:06 AM
I am trying to look at some schematics to post for you.
Is it your low beams that are staying on, or is it your high beams?
With all the fuses in, and your lights are stuck on, turn the headlight switch to ON.
Does anything happen? Do they seem to get brighter? What about your fog lights? Do they work?
If your fog lights turn off and on with the headlight switch, then I would suspect your Multi-funtion switch is good.
If it's your low beams that are stuck on, then DRL relay 22 controls your low beams - maybe it's stuck.
Power is always applied to relay 22 through fuse 46, but the ground is applied (or removed) from the BCM.

99blackgagt
06-22-2010, 12:21 PM
my fog lights are aftermarket as well on a seperate switch...and it is my LOW beams that stay on (the low beams are my HID's)...with all fuses in as soon as i connect the battery, the low beam HIDs come on and will stay on...with fuses out they dont work at all (obviously)...but they do not seem to get brighter, they are bright from the start, almost full power....the STOCK fog light switch hasnt been used for years since i have installed halo fog lights on a seperate toggle switch...

AND...i replaced the DRL fuse under the hood, it was 9.99 at auto zone, so that fuse is good, and the lights still stay on...PLUS, the HIDs are NOT the lights that come on for DRLs.....its actually the highbeam Sylvanias that come on as DRLs and they just come on at a lower beam status when DRLs are activated... i hope this helps, thank you for responding i will be watching for reply

Pauljp
06-22-2010, 02:13 PM
So you have connected your HID's to your low beam wiring.
The schematics that I posted are for my 2003 GAGT.
Assuming that your '99 has the same wiring, your HID's are getting the power through the DRL relay 22 located in the fuse box under the hood.
Pull out that relay and your low beam HID's should go off.
If they are off, then slowly put the relay back in and hear if there is a click of the relay energizing.
If you don't hear a click of the relay then it is stuck on and constantly giving power to your lights and must be replaced.
If you do hear a click then the relay is working and being energized by a ground signal coming from the BCM or an open wire touching ground from the BCM to the relay.
You can also swap it with other relays to test, they are usually the same type.
Try this and let me know what happens.
Remember, this is assuming that my year wiring is the same as your year wiring.

99blackgagt
06-23-2010, 07:39 AM
I have tried this already, and i have already replaced the relay...is that what you said would need replaced? when i put the new relay in with the battery disconnected and put power to the car again, the lights came on and stayed on WITH A NEW RELAY...So, i believe the relay is working fine...what else could it be? When i take the relay out, neither of the lows will work, or maybe just one of them comes on and stays on, its weird!

99blackgagt
06-23-2010, 07:40 AM
i dont know if i remember hearing a click, i will try it again, but like i said i just bought a new DRL relay #22 from autozone for $9.99

99blackgagt
06-23-2010, 07:49 AM
PLUS....i must mention that if I have my light switch on the side of the steering wheel to OFF and i am driving out in the SUN, the HID's are NOT my DRL's....the DRL's that come on are the BRIGHTS, but they come on with that FAINT DRL LOOK...SO, im not sure why the HID's would be affected by DRL's...

Pauljp
06-23-2010, 10:18 AM
On post #8 above, you said "your low beams are your HID's".
On post #10 above, you said "when i take the relay out (DRL Relay #22), neither of the lows will work".
On post #8 again, you said "the HIDs are NOT the lights that come on for DRL's".
So I'm a bit confused right now.

Let's start with the initial problem...
Your car is sitting there, you do not have any switches on, your keys are not in the ignition, your battery is connected and your HID's are always on.
This is the problem that we are trying to fix.
Open your hood and pull out your new DRL Relay #22 and tell me if your HID's go off.
It's the relay I want you to remove, not the fuse.
According to my schematic, it is fuse 46 that provides power to the relay, leave that be for now.
Maybe PM me with your e-mail address so we can communicate better.

99blackgagt
06-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Its hard to explain...I may try to take pictures to show you...BUT, yes my LOW beams are the HIDs. Then there are HIGH beams that are a located inward from the HIDs, those have sylvania silverstars in them. When my lights are completely off, and the DRLs turn on when i put the car into gear, it is the HIGH beam bulb that comes on, BUT only at a DRL brightness. Does that kinda help? i will try what you said here in a few minutes and post back. Thanks!

99blackgagt
06-25-2010, 01:28 PM
sooo....i took it in and the shop told me that it is the HID aftermarket lights, something is wrong with the ballasts or wiring, because when they hook up stock headlights, they work and turn off normally...but now we are checking to see if the DRLs will work with regular headlights because those have not been working either on the aftermarket set....the aftermarket set has worked perfectly for 2 years and now this....UGHHHH

99blackgagt
06-25-2010, 02:00 PM
AND so my question is...is there a way to fix my HIDs? they are the problem and are continually staying on, could it be a RELAY? or some part of the wiring that anyone knows about?