best spot to access passlock wires for bypass [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : best spot to access passlock wires for bypass

blazingerbs
06-21-2010, 09:10 AM
In experienced peoples opinions, where is the easiest spot to find that yellow wire. this damn security thing has screwed me too may times.
also do you recommend to solder any connections?
thanks.

Y2KGA
06-21-2010, 04:51 PM
In experienced peoples opinions, where is the easiest spot to find that yellow wire. this damn security thing has screwed me too may times.
also do you recommend to solder any connections?
thanks.

Just remove the ignition switch and reseat it a few times. That will clean the connectors and should eliminate the passlock problem. I did this a year ago and the car has been fine. Its easier than cutting and soldering wires.

Bryan
06-21-2010, 06:13 PM
I believe I just removed the radio bezel and accessed it from that point. I wouldn't bother reseating/cleaning up the connection, as it's likely to fail again.

blazingerbs
06-21-2010, 06:19 PM
i was goin to do it at the radio bezel, i'll have to pull out the radio a little but thats all good.
i'm tired of having it happen, i just want it to stop. i think for simplicity, i'm going to just cut the wire and put in a 6 foot length of wire as a switch or later i'll just solder the resistor in there.
also i'm not sure how to take out the cylinder, cant see any screws after i pop off the bezel.

bricooper78
06-21-2010, 07:52 PM
for the 2nd time since i've owned mine (3 years) the security light came on, never blinked, but came on, while i was driving.
been reading the bypass method, but what are you talking about with a switch? i haven't heard of this method...i'm all ears. i'd assume the passlock is left intact so you can still use the alarm right???

etorres
06-21-2010, 09:12 PM
I removed my glovebox and accessed the yellow wire at the BCM. You can get to the BCM from under the dash too but removing the glovebox gives much more room to work. I soldered my connections.

for the 2nd time since i've owned mine (3 years) the security light came on, never blinked, but came on, while i was driving.
been reading the bypass method, but what are you talking about with a switch? i haven't heard of this method...i'm all ears. i'd assume the passlock is left intact so you can still use the alarm right???
Check out this link (http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm) for a little more info on the using a switch

bricooper78
06-21-2010, 09:51 PM
aaah ha thanks man

AaronGAGT
03-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Hate to bring it back from the dead, but what does "reseating the ignition switch" actually mean?

Y2KGA
03-28-2011, 09:32 PM
You simply remove the switch and replace it. To do this, remove the radio bezel and the bolts that hold the radio in place. Take the key and turn it to run. There is a small square sized hole on the dash to the bottom right of the switch. Take a small L sized hex key and place it in the hole using one hand. Use the other hand to get the hex key to depress the tab on the switch (move the radio out of the way first). Once you depress the tab. pull on the key and the whole lock will come out. Then put the switch back in. Do this about 5 times. Someone put up a howto here http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45019&referrerid=4945

You do not need to unbolt the switch from the dash. Use the pictures to get an idea where the release tab is.

There are pins on the back of the switch that transmit a voltage to the pcm. Over time they get tarnish on them which causes the voltage to change. Reseating the switch scrapes off the tarnish and makes a better connection.

You WILL have to this again at some point. It might be 6 months or two years. But it costs nothing to do and leaves the security system intact.

AaronGAGT
03-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks, I'll add that to my potential solutions list!

AaronGAGT
03-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Meh, that wasn't too hard to do. Still have the security light on though - car still starts and runs... I dont get it..

bricooper78
03-29-2011, 10:01 PM
aaron, who are the girls in your avatar? do you know them or did you just find them? cause those have to be contacts lol

AaronGAGT
03-29-2011, 10:49 PM
aaron, who are the girls in your avatar? do you know them or did you just find them? cause those have to be contacts lol

You fix my security light, I'll send names so you can go be facebook pals.

bricooper78
03-30-2011, 08:38 AM
i'll take that as "i know them cooper, and yes, i'm way better than you because of it" lmfao

from reading all the stuff i've read, i'd put the resistor in the lines, and let it do the relearn.
did you look here? http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm that's where i had read up on it.

hell if all else and you've put it in bypass, yank the bulb???