head gasket :) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : head gasket :)

young gun
07-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Was told by dealer that i have a head gasket leak but its not severe yet. probably by december i would need it replaced. just my luck with this fricken car. He gave me a really rough estimate of $900 something. Midas said $1300 with machining the heads and a warrenty. correct? or is there something i can do now cheaper? anything!!!

Armydoc87
07-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Do it yourself. The only thing that you would have to have someone else do is mill the heads, but that's like $60-75 if I remember right. Just make sure you get the right torque pattern and torque specifications for the head bolts and your fine. It wasn't too hard from what I remember, just a PITA when you get to the backside. Just tape everything off to make sure everything goes back where it belongs and your pretty much set. Some of the others on here can probably give better and more detailed advice, but hope this helps! :)

westerndragon
07-01-2010, 04:41 PM
search button FTW guys theres a walkthrough

350rs
07-01-2010, 04:49 PM
just did it a few weeks ago. maybe a month or two. biggest tips i can give. Take your time. Make any and all gasket surfaces CLEAN. I used a brillow pad type attachment end the end of a drill to clean the deck on the block. Make sure you clean the cylinders out though, it makes a big mess. replace the head bolts, they are not reusable. As said follow torque specs and work your way to the goal ( IE. if 100 pounds do 25 then 50 then 75 THEN 100). Nothing worse than cracking a head because you didnt want to take your time and do it right.

All in all. it was an easy job and can be done with the most basic tools. Just very time consuming.