1986 Grand Am [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Grand Am

Laser57
07-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Hey guys, I don't know if anybody would be able to give me any insight on this or not but i'm going to say it anyway. I'm looking at buying a 86 Grand Am for a project car for dirt cheap. It has a 3.0 in it with a rod through the side so it needs a motor transplant. What I was wondering is if anybody knows of any other swaps that would be easy for this car. I was thinking about this for a swap but i doubt it would work. Doing a 3.8 swap. I was reasearching that the 3.0 is a lower deck height version of the 3.8. I would assume that the two motors would have the same bolt patterens and everything just the 3.8 is bigger. And I'm talking about the old FWD 3.8 not the Series 1, 2, or 3. If this is possible I would want to do this the most. Any imput or other ideas would be appriciated. Thanks

WidbyJ
07-02-2010, 03:44 AM
The main issue is going to be getting all of the electronic bits to work properly. The ECM will need to be swapped for sure which pretty well requires the entire electrical harness go with it. I wouldn't recommend doing anything more than an identical engine swap unless you plan to put a LOT of money into it... my 2 cents

rocketfast123
07-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Their is a member on here or GAOC with a 3800 in a baby grand am.