tester, throttle problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : tester, throttle problem

burgett2103
07-01-2010, 10:45 PM
does a tester that you hoook up to the pcm that tells you what's wrong with the car, will that tell me if a maf sensor or a tp sensor is bad? i had a service engine light on, but went off, and i still have a problem. put it in gear and it kinda shakes and bounces but goes away. and while accelerating it doesn't kick in right away... can anybody tell me what this might be wrong and if that tester will work?

rlandis
07-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Yes, the engine code stores in the computer. Hook a tester up to it and it will tell you why your engine light came on.

burgett2103
07-02-2010, 12:34 AM
alright. i'm thinking its the maf or tps but i really don't know..

AaronGTR
07-04-2010, 01:48 PM
It depends on what the problem is and if it stored a code in the pcm. A diagnostics scanner will tell you what the DTC code is and sometimes give info as to what the code is for. OBD2 codes are universal but different manufacturers use different codes depending on the cars control systems, and the trouble shooting info for that code differs by car. You really need a service manual that tells you how to trouble shoot the car for the specific code that comes up. It gives step by step instructions on what to test and look for.

The diagnostic scanner won't just tell you what is wrong though. It just gives you are starting point on where to look. And sometimes you can have a problem too, but it is something that doesn't set off a code or hasn't got bad enough yet to get outside limits set in the PCM that will trigger a code. In other words not having a check engine light is not a guarantee that there isn't a problem.

burgett2103
07-04-2010, 04:39 PM
well i scanned it and got a cylinder 3 misfire. put my msd wire back on and the problem has seemed to gone away. i'll test it again soon to see but the throttle problem isn't there anymore...