quick question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : quick question

Mattyj724
07-03-2010, 09:21 PM
well two questions...
1... is to mark. i looked through your store and didnt see any gaskets for headers. do you still sell them.

and 2... for anyone .. im assuming you can bolt the headers to the engine with the same bolts that are on there stock??? and what did you use to connect the headers to each other where the front 3 meet the back 3. the guy i bought them off of didnt send me any gaskets or bolts... Thanks

AaronGTR
07-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Which kind of headers, S&S or TOG's?

Best thing I've found for gaskets is modifying stock gaskets and re-using them. You have to cut out part of the section that stick out, so that they will fit under the flat header flanges. They seal better than any other composite gasket I've seen though. You can also re-use the stock stud and nut from the exhaust manifolds, but they don't work that well. They will loosen up over time and need to be re-torqued or you will get an exhaust leak. Especially with the TOG's because they have a thicker flange than the S&S and the stock lock nuts won't go down far enough on the studs to lock up properly. I recommend getting locking header bolts for either one. iirc it's about $80 for a set of locking stainless bolts. Small price for the peace of mind they provide. You can install them and let the headers heat up and cool down once, then re-tighten them and tighten the locking set screws and never worry about them again. ;)

Mattyj724
07-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the advice.. as for the bolts.. any good place to get them? or any parts store sell them, and can i use those same bolts to connect the front headers to the rest.. They are SS BTW