2001 Grand Am SE1 Vs GT [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Grand Am SE1 Vs GT

Grand Am Fusion
07-04-2010, 01:11 PM
With enough money and time is it possible to make an SE1 way more powerful than a stock GT? If so where should I start after making sure everything that is currently stock is mechanically sound. I'd like acceleration before top end.

AaronGTR
07-04-2010, 01:26 PM
uh, yeah.... the fastest car on the website was a 2.4L turbo SE. You have to do a lot of work to make it that fast, but if you only want to make it faster than a stock GT, that isn't that hard. There was only a 25hp difference between them. If you want to make it faster than a modded V6, then you will be looking at a little more time and money.

Mike Jung
07-04-2010, 01:29 PM
SE1 had the same V6 (IIRC) lol

So, it wouldn't take that much to be faster than a stock GT.
Even though the V6 SE is handicapped by about a second on the 1/4 mile.

Even newer and more improved "I want to make my V6 Grand Am Faster" FAQ (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78706)

AaronGTR
07-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Nope, I googled it myself to make sure before I posted Mike. SE and SE1 had a 150hp 2.4L up to 2002, and 2002 and later had a 140hp 2.2L ecotec. SE2 had the 170hp 3.4L v6 and gt/gt1 had 175hp 3.4L v6.

Mike Jung
07-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Must be different option packages through the years then.

Because there were SE1 here offered with a V6 & 15" aluminum wheels.

Grand Am Fusion
07-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Yeah I have the 2001 Grand AM SE1 with 150hp 2.4L Twincam which I've been told is a crap motor. Is that the exact motor that was the fastest on the site? Where would you think I'd start first on producing faster acceleration.

It's pretty much just an everyday car for me right now but you know I'd like to make it a littler surprising to those that think Grand AM's are just junk.

AaronGTR
07-04-2010, 02:02 PM
It's far from a crap motor. Most import guys might tell you that because they are stuck up domestic hating pricks. The original 2.3L version were making 150-160hp back in 1989, when most 4cyl's from other manufacturers needed turbo's to make that much power. In the early-mid 90's they had two models (LG0 and W41) that made 180-190hp. Pretty damn impressive for a 2.4L twin cam. The standard model you have is the LD9. It was initially criticized for it's NVH levels, but balance shafts where added later and other changes made to reduce noise, but that also reduced power. You can eliminate some of those changes, and swap in parts from other engines (ie W41) to make more power. Throw a turbo on it with some injectors and tuning and you can easily have over 250hp.

Basically it's not as good as some more modern 4cyl's like Honda's K series or Nissan's SR motors, but compared to other motors of it's time you can make some very good power. :)

Grand Am Fusion
07-04-2010, 02:36 PM
I was wondering that as well. My mom had this old Saturn that seemed like it had the exact same engine. The engine was a 2.4L Twincam not sure if it was an LD9 because it was a 1994 or something like that. She sold it now but maybe that could have been the engine I could have taken parts off.

When doing all those things to increase the horsepower wouldn't I need to upgrade my tranny and other parts to handle the power upgrade.

AaronGTR
07-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Depends on what tranny you have. I believe the 4cyl grand ams came with the 4T40E for the automatic, which isn't very strong, or they had a 5spd manual available. If you don't have the manual and you are really concerned with speed, you should consider doing a manual conversion. Shouldn't be that hard since it was already an option for that car. Now, I'm not really an expert on the 4cyl cars, but I do know it's been done before so it is possible. With the 5spd, you'll have a lot stronger trans and the option of upgrading clutches for more torque holding capacity. I believe Spec makes clutches for that trans.

Grand Am Fusion
07-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Well wouldn't converting it to a Manual be a bit expensive? I really don't have the money to make it a super badass grand am lol I really just want it to make all the grand am's I see running around town wonder how come I'm so fast.