Current problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Current problems

GA2000GTSpeed
07-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Okay so i have 2 things that are really bothering me first off is my tensioner popped off and the bolt hole is striped... my guess is that it was overtightened at some point and it finally gave way.

So what would the best fix be? and the tensioner bolts on the the front cover right? i know i have one back home but i'm not sure how to get it right now lol.

My other problem is i'm throwing a MAF code and i'm getting no reading on my tuner.

I have replaced the the sensor and i'm still not getting a reading. So did i get a bad MAF? or could the wires have gone bad at some point?

3800SII
07-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Okay so i have 2 things that are really bothering me first off is my tensioner popped off and the bolt hole is striped... my guess is that it was overtightened at some point and it finally gave way.

So what would the best fix be? and the tensioner bolts on the the front cover right? i know i have one back home but i'm not sure how to get it right now lol.

My other problem is i'm throwing a MAF code and i'm getting no reading on my tuner.

I have replaced the the sensor and i'm still not getting a reading. So did i get a bad MAF? or could the wires have gone bad at some point?

Replacing the tensioner is easy. Just head to your local AZ and they can get you the replacement unit and instructions.

The same thing happened to my MAF. One of the wires came completly out ot the harness, and I suspected a bad unit. Take the harness apart and visually inspect each wire for damage. You can use an OHM meter to check for a valid connection also.

GA2000GTSpeed
07-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Replacing the tensioner is easy. Just head to your local AZ and they can get you the replacement unit and instructions.

The same thing happened to my MAF. One of the wires came completly out ot the harness, and I suspected a bad unit. Take the harness apart and visually inspect each wire for damage. You can use an OHM meter to check for a valid connection also.

The tensioner is fine... it's where the bolt goes into the engine, thats the only place it that it threads into and that is stripped...

juanvan
07-15-2010, 02:04 PM
need a tap and die set Link (http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-26376-Machine-Fractional-Metric/dp/B0000EI9AW) You should be able to get way with it and not need to re thread the hole.

As for your MAF you should search there is the Ohm rating for it somewhere on the forum.

GA2000GTSpeed
07-27-2010, 07:52 PM
okay so the tensioner pulley bolts into the head... the that hole is completly stripped. the bolt doesn't catch at all... could i switch my heads or do they need to stay on that side of the engine?

or am i better off using a helicoil or threaded insert?

juanvan
07-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Try the coil - spark plugs have to be under more pressure and work fine.
And how heck did u strip the whole thing??? Has to be 20 threads

remiljr
07-27-2010, 09:16 PM
i have a how to thread thats long and full of drama reguarding this topic... if you tap it dont go too far into the head and cause major major major issues/ head replacement. its the only real option for a good fix. my thread is full of a long drawn out process of 2 ways to fix and too lazy to retype.

GA2000GTSpeed
07-28-2010, 03:28 AM
well i can not re tap it cause there is not enough existing metal there to make decent threads so i am going to try to do a helicoil/thread insert.

I can thread the bolt in and it will catch with the deeper threads but that is with out the tensioner pulley. with the pulley i can not catch anything

what is the best place to get a helicoil or thread insert?

GA2000GTSpeed
07-29-2010, 04:11 PM
well i'm going to try to find some thread inserts at home depot, hopefully i can put her all back together tonight...

I know that i am getting power to my maf sensor the black is ground and the yellow is the signal wire... once i get everything back together i'm going to see if it was just a bad sensor, bad ground, or if the signal wire came disconnected somewhere. i did some investigating into the wiring harness but it all looks good...

remiljr
07-29-2010, 06:28 PM
my heli coil i got at autozone ... it lasted maybe 2 weeks to a month before the high grade bolt broke flush at head. ironically i currently have had it for months welded... welded fill metal and tapped that. also i have a junk yard alt bracket in garage ground down to fit flush with the tensioner bolted to it already. gl

Robb235
07-29-2010, 06:31 PM
AutoZone sells helicoils on the tool aisle.

GA2000GTSpeed
07-30-2010, 01:05 AM
so i am trying to take out the exhaust manifold studs out of my cylinder heads when this happened.... WTH am i suppose to do now? and the same 3 are stuck in the other head... i let them soak in pb blaster all day... any ideas??? i really need to get these out so i can use my header bolts.

GA2000GTSpeed
07-31-2010, 03:31 AM
so i finally got all of the header studs out, i had to grind on the broken bolt extractor with a tungsten carbide cutting bit for about 30 min till i could use the next size up.

also i got the tensioner pulley bolt hole tapped and put thread inserts in so all i have to do is throw everything back together and i'll be good to go.