Horn ring or horn pad issues??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Horn ring or horn pad issues???

tuckerce
07-19-2010, 04:24 PM
I have a 99 GT 4 Door. I was one of those brilliant people who successfully cleaned the multifunction switch in order to get rid of the random clicking; and then hastily re-attached it (meanwhile bending the horn ring). Now the horn does not work at all.

I have ruled out most problems. Horn sounds when I lock the car or push the panic button. SO it must be up in the steering wheel. Cruise control works just fine; so it is not the clock spring. I also re-examined the multifunction switch. Horn pin moves freely & is straight; also the spring is just fine.

From the research that I have done; it appears to either be the horn ring or the horn pad/buttons (which I guess is attached to the airbag assembly & a last resort price-wise). It seems a few people have straightened the horn ring & had success using a pair of needlenose pliers. However, I do not exactly remember the original shape of the horn ring. Is the plate just straight? Mine is crimpled along the edges (where I turned the steering wheel after incorrectly installing the switch); but smooth where the pin rides along it. It is slightly warped; but the pins always rides against it for the full steering wheel rotation - should this be any issue?

Here is the main advice that I am looking for: 1)A picture or description of what a new horn ring looks like (the shape that I am trying to restore it to). 2) An explaination of how the horn path works from pressing the horn pad/buttons to exiting the multifunstion switch. I have seen detailed schematics of the overall horn path; but it is always vague when it comes to the steering column path & functionality. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Chris

PhantomLover007
07-20-2010, 02:22 PM
There's a thread on here w/ pics dealing w/ the whole mutifunction bit.