Whooping Noise [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Whooping Noise

G.I.Ceo
07-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Anyone had this problem before? When I get to around 75 mph- 80 I start to get a whooping noise from the front right of my car. When I turn slightly right it gets worse and faster, when I start to turn left it goes away. I have had both wheel bearings replaced, I have had it to a independent mechanic, two different dealership's and they can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

remiljr
07-25-2010, 04:06 PM
rotate the tires and see what happens? bad ballance on 1 rim? check that strut for any fluid leakage? any vibration felt in the steering wheel? check your ball joints and tie rods while u got the wheel off... what the hell... gl

G.I.Ceo
07-25-2010, 07:21 PM
I have rotated the tires, I have had them balanced. Yes I do get a vibration in the steering wheel but it is at high speeds. Like I said it take almost 80mph and over to make that happen.

slw240sx
07-26-2010, 06:43 AM
bent rim? balancers will some times not pick up on it. chopped tires on the outside of the tread patch? bad struts can cause choppeed tires and chopped tires can make alot of noise and vibration. old tie rods?

DrFabulous
07-26-2010, 07:26 AM
I hear "whooping" and I think:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQD8PB7Y-SQmYUlbH5ux-diAuaiImEldGzGI4zF7s4UkfAGHPE&t=1&usg=__5HeTnaU4LSWq3BFYmntwTFoVZ48=

G.I.Ceo
07-26-2010, 07:54 AM
bent rim? balancers will some times not pick up on it. chopped tires on the outside of the tread patch? bad struts can cause choppeed tires and chopped tires can make alot of noise and vibration. old tie rods?I am thinking bad tire rod or strut. I have had the tires replaced, rotated, flipped over because they are directional, swapped sides, balanced, and i still get it. I have not checked the tire rod yet though.

juanvan
07-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Check the tie rods or maybe the axle bearing since it changes when u turn

remiljr
07-27-2010, 08:13 PM
If its a bad strut you can have a friend drive next to you at 80 mph plus and he will be able to visually see it bouncing, but you would most likely see the fluid leaking down the side of it during visual inspection. hows the tie rods? if you can turn them back and forth with your hand freely, replace them. axle/ halfshaft usually makes more of a clicking noise so i wouldnt suspect that.