fuel pump [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump

ruhland
07-24-2010, 11:30 AM
my fuel pump is not working at all..went and got a jy one and threw in and still nothing checked fuses and relays still nothing is there something that im overlooking what could it be.......also there is a little box thing with an eyelet on it on a transmission stud what is that for

westerndragon
07-24-2010, 02:20 PM
my fuel pump is not working at all..went and got a jy one and threw in and still nothing checked fuses and relays still nothing is there something that im overlooking what could it be.......also there is a little box thing with an eyelet on it on a transmission stud what is that for

ground wire.....not knowing simple things like this means hire a pro

Malaclypse
07-24-2010, 02:24 PM
^This.

Also, don't ever buy a fuel pump from a yard. Get one brand new. Go offbrand if you have to but for ****'s sake don't just get a used one.

ruhland
07-24-2010, 11:01 PM
well i know its a ground wire.....is it a ground wire for the fuel pump perhaps....no need to be a **** about it just a question

ruhland
07-24-2010, 11:03 PM
and whats the issue with yard pumps have one in my cav been running it over 60000 prolly and no issues

GA2000GTSpeed
07-25-2010, 01:44 AM
ugh... the ignorance of some people... Before you work on something know what the hell you are doing!

A junkyard fuel pump is used... from a BROKEN CAR! that could be on of the reasons its in there... you might get lucky every once in a while...

With a fuel pump it may not be a mechanical issue, it could be electrical. your going to need to know how to read an electrical diagram and know how to use a multi-meter and check through everything... an easy way to figure out of its the pump is to turn it on using a battery charger or an extra battery.

If it turns on that way your going to have to go through the wiring and test the relay with the meter and a battery to make sure its working correctly.

remiljr
07-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Junk yards here in cleveland have warranty's and i am a big fan! If you are so against them then kbb your cars worth then reconsider. so back to the real issue, you said u checked relays and what not but diddnt say checked voltage as previously stated. turn key on but dont try to start and check for your 12v at the pump. for future ease. run the fuel pump leads direct to battery for a sec to make sure its working before dropping your tank and goin through the hassle. new parts come doa sometimes 2! You sure its a fuel pump issue and not a fuel filter / injector / regulator issue? oh... and gotta get used to the as$holes, i did, its worth it, most of them are very knowledgable and respectable prix

pongagt
07-26-2010, 09:03 AM
I just ordered a AC Delco pump for my 99 GAGT at a cost of $270 from Amazon with free shipping and no tax. I will not take a chance on a JY or lower quality pump because i don't need any towing charges or emergency shop repairs if it breaks down on the road. I know it is a ripoff but just think of the costs if you break down on a trip.

ruhland
07-26-2010, 11:37 AM
i am thinking that i might have burned through the crank sensor wire which would not send power to the relay if i read correctly?

ruhland
07-30-2010, 09:10 PM
still no start i have no power at the relay i have been trying to follow wires and really found nothing i am halfway thinking maybe a computer issue or am i way off base.......
or where would the wire and what color wire would i be looking for

Malaclypse
07-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Is your security light flashing after you try to start the car?

ruhland
07-30-2010, 09:32 PM
dont believe so...
the splice pack that grounds on the tranny bell housing got melted/burned pretty good by the exhaust manifold...pretty sure that has something to do with it.
i have repaired those ground wires tho

ruhland
07-30-2010, 09:53 PM
i also had a p0230 code fuel pump primary circuit malfunction

Malaclypse
07-30-2010, 10:36 PM
The code narrows it down. Its either a PCM, a fuel pump relay... or wiring.

Pauljp
07-31-2010, 06:10 AM
I have included the wiring diagram for my 03GAGT fuel pump.
Hope it helps.

AaronGTR
07-31-2010, 09:52 AM
i am thinking that i might have burned through the crank sensor wire which would not send power to the relay if i read correctly?

Nope. Don't know why you'd even be close to that, but it has nothing to do with fuel. The crank sensor controls ignition timing.

i also had a p0230 code fuel pump primary circuit malfunction

according to the manual, when the ignition switch is turned on the pcm sends power to the fuel pump relay to turn it on and send power to the fuel pump. It stays on as long as the engine is cranking or running, and the pcm is receiving reference pulses. If no reference pulses are received the PCM deactivates the fuel pump within 2 seconds after the ignition is turned on and sets the DTC code.

Diagnostic info... the main thing it says to do is check the wiring. First thing I'd do is repair those ground wires. If that doesn't fix it, start checking the rest of the wiring harness for damage.

juanvan
11-28-2012, 06:26 AM
I know its 2yrs later - but wanted to add my learning over the last few days to this - and it seems like many people have this problem from time to time.

G103 is located at the front motor mount by the starter. Check for grounds with out having to take the motor mount out. Just remove the tape and test (there is a TB on that ground for a washer because the ground will not hold some times. - The motor mount has to come out to put the washer on. TB says it does not, but I could not get any socket/wrench on it with it in)

G302 is located on the passenger floor board by the seat, have to remove the plastic foot brush to access.

If the car starts then dies, and you are getting a P0230C code, and those 2 grounds have tested good constantly bright - Another ground is the problem.

In my case it was the transmission ground, located under the exhaust manifold by the shifter that was lose. You have to remove the air box to access and repair.