Questions on buying an '01 Alero [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Questions on buying an '01 Alero

Robb235
07-27-2010, 05:25 AM
Found an Alero I'd like to buy. I'm in college and money is tight, so I've been scanning Craigslists for cars that need to be fixed and therefor are being sold for cheap. One I found is an '01 Alero that was hit in the front. According to the ad, the hub assembly needs to be replaced as well as the driver side fender.

2001 Olds Alero dark blue metallic, 3.4 v6 engine, power windows, power door locks, power sunroof, alloy wheels, new tires, spoiler, silver-star headlights, cd, tape, AM/FM radio, gray cloth seats, the interior is in great shape! The body is in good shape too other than the driver’s side front finder hood and wheel assembly. My brother was delivering papers to different companies while he was going to school in XXXXXXXX and a lady hit him in the front right wheel/finder. Will need to be hauled off but is very fixable. The price is $900 but is very very negotiable so, please talk with me about any questions you might have! I live in XXX City but my uncle has the car in XXXXXXXXX so, we could probably work something out if you would like to see the car just let me know!
My # is XXX-XXX-XXXX (please call or text)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/Robb235/9390212f.jpg

So I go to the guy's uncle's house and the uncle lets me look at the car. It's in the grass and I don't have a jack to see underneath. The first thing I notice is that the car has 160k miles. I also find that when I lower the front driver side window that it completely fell into the door. Obviously the window regulator is bad.... on 3 of the 4 windows on this car. I text message the guy and he says he had no idea there was anything wrong with the windows. I have no idea how someone can not know that 3 of their windows are completely jacked. The windshield is cracked too.

Now, before I even came to look at the car, he said that he'd let me have it for $700. Once I texted him the problems, he said to make him an offer. Being that the car can't be driven, the high miles, and the problems that he didn't tell me about, I'm thinking $400. But am I just buying a bag of problems with these cars?

alerored04
07-27-2010, 02:39 PM
I got a 99 GAGT with 170,000 on it for $700 all it needed was a front bumper and a lower intake manifold gasket. This one has way too many issues. It needs body work, a wheel bearing, three regulators and a windsheild. With all that you will be into it far more than if you just bought one in decent shape.

juanvan
07-27-2010, 07:28 PM
You will be dumping 800+ for all the repairs so just think about that - and if he takes the car to the junk yard its 400-600 for the car for him... might want to find a dif car.

Robb235
07-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Picked it up for $500. The tires are brand new, so if the repairs are too expensive I could sell the tires and engine for more than what I paid for the car.