exhaust bolts stuck [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : exhaust bolts stuck

young gun
07-29-2010, 06:03 PM
So i installed my Borla exhuast and while taking my old exhuast off i couldn't get all 3 bolts out. only 1 came off. the heads are stripped and i tried drilling through but i barely made any progress. so i just threw two clamps on it and called it a night. should i take it to a shop to attempt drilling through? have them cut that part of and weld a new one on? get a high flow cat welded on? custom downpipe with high flow cat?

Mac0083
07-29-2010, 06:50 PM
when i went to unbolt mine to attach the borla, the day before i used metal penetrating lube oil in great amounts all over the flange and 3 bolts. let it set all day without using the car. they came out no problem at all. but it's too late for that...

to fix this royal ****up, you'll need to sawz-all the stock cat-back pipe that you were replacing anyways. that will give you some room to work. run to sears or an auto store and get the backout bits. can't think of their proper name right now. but they back out bolts and screws that have stripped heads. (and you might want to drown them in wd40 for a few hours before trying the backouts)

good luck, let us know how it worked

slw240sx
07-29-2010, 07:47 PM
torch and sweat them out. its some times quick and painless and other times a complete bastard that ends with you having a new pipe portion welded on.

honestly if you take this to a shop prepare to bend over. This is one of those you dont want to do it, neither do shop people. so they will charge the "i really dont want to F with it price". if you pay they still hate it but do it cause they are doubling their normal rate, or you say no thanks, and they dont have to do a PITA job. its win-win for them.

young gun
07-30-2010, 09:54 AM
poop. thought about the back screws thingy but idk they look like they should be there lol. its so bad :( i will give it another shot though, probably this weekend

AaronGTR
07-30-2010, 02:48 PM
It's been a long time since I looked at a stock exhaust on these cars... the flange behind the cat has three studs on it right? And the cat-back part of the exhaust has a flange with three holes that go over the studs then you put nuts on behind it?

Those are usually pretty rusted and people break them quite often. As stated the method I usually use is soaking them with penetrating oil and/or heating with a propane torch. Sometimes even that won't work though and you just have to cut them or break them off. You should be able to cut off the studs with a hack saw or cut-off wheel, then grind the heads off the other side and drill out the holes. It shouldn't be that hard if you have good drill bits. I would just drill out the holes larger and get some stainless nuts and bolts to go through both flanges to connect them.

Of if you have the money go with the high flow cat and just have a new pipe section and flange made to hook up to the borla.

young gun
07-30-2010, 06:45 PM
really think high flow cat? just a CAI and a borla... but i do plan more but its going to be awhile. and if i do get the cat i can just clamp it on no welding?

Mac0083
07-31-2010, 05:37 AM
cant clamp it. the cat is a part of the downpipe on the 3400.

see if you can loosen those bolts first. if not, then you'll probably find it easier to start cutting on it. and if you start cutting on it, then you might as well want to go with a highflow cat.