car keeps dying [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : car keeps dying

Jmoney3318
07-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Hey guys wats going on, got a bit of an issue. My car dies when I leave it over night. I have a system in there for I dnt kno about 4 years and this never happened recently put in an alarm about a year ago. Battery is probably 2 years old. I just wanted to pick up sum suggestions where to start. Should I jus bring this bad boy into autozone and get the bat. And alt checked? Start with fuses? Abything to help would be great. That's guys

Bryan
07-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Make sure your amp is shutting off. I had an internal problem with an amp a while ago causing it to constantly remain on, killing the battery overnight.

Mattyj724
07-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Check the amp and then check the battery... 2 year old on a system can kill a batt faster than normal..

Jmoney3318
07-30-2010, 08:58 AM
alright jus got battery tested and its done. i have a yellowtop duralast let me ask this now. i've uused this same battery since ive had the car since its yellow to match the whole engine bay, im thinkin ive been through maybe 3 of these the time ive had this car for about 6 years... is it worth it to just buy an optima yellowtop? will this complement the system better than the duralast and also outlast the lifespan of the duralast batteries?

Jake
07-30-2010, 09:23 AM
alright jus got battery tested and its done. i have a yellowtop duralast let me ask this now. i've uused this same battery since ive had the car since its yellow to match the whole engine bay, im thinkin ive been through maybe 3 of these the time ive had this car for about 6 years... is it worth it to just buy an optima yellowtop? will this complement the system better than the duralast and also outlast the lifespan of the duralast batteries?

Yes, yellowtops are the ****. The older ones. The newer ones I hear are crap. Mine is about 6 years old and still holds a charge just fine.

AaronGTR
07-30-2010, 02:37 PM
You could have something not turning off or shorting out somewhere and draining the battery. Disconnect the negative cable from battery and then check between the cable and battery post with a volt meter and see if you are getting any draw. It should be very very low, like less than 0.1v I think. Usually have to leave it there for a minute while everything shuts off until the reading stabilizes.

I had a problem like this before. Had a DRL bypass kit installed that caused the headlight relay to always be on even when I had the lights turned off. It wasn't much draw, but it was enough to kill the battery if the car sat for two days. Also remember that if you fully discharge a battery too many times that will shorten it's life. Gel cell batteries like optima's tend to have a slightly shorter service life as it is because the acid in the gel around the lead spiral cores gets used up unlike a regular battery with liquid acid that can circulate around lead plates. Optima's are designed for resistance to gas venting and liquid spills, not long life. ;)

One other thing to consider, depending on the power requirements, your sound system could be shortening the batteries life too. Amp's do not draw power at a continuous rate. The electricity goes in extremely fast bursts based on the amp's output demand. Batteries actually have a fairly high internal resistance and slow reaction speed, and have trouble keeping up with high power amps. Adding a capacitor between them could extend your battery life and improve your amp performance because caps are made with very low resistance and high response speed.