Air Conditioning [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning

frazzles
08-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Hello, this problem with my air conditioning has happened two years straight:
I went out of state (without the car ofc) for two months for a summer job and when I returned, the A/C doesn't work (won't get cold). Is it normal for the freon or whatever to deplete upon standing and not being used for 1-2 months? I was just wondering if there was a simple fix before I have to go and shell out another $200+ within a matter of 5 months (got it fixed in April).

I have an 04 Grand AM SE, 4-door, V6, just passed 104k miles.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also having issues with start up... usually it starts right up, but some times it will take a couple tries to start up... any idea what this could be?

rocketfast123
08-10-2010, 12:16 AM
is the compressor turning on?

GA2000GTSpeed
08-10-2010, 04:59 AM
The A/C does not leak over time, it's a closed system. and what did they do in April? and how hot is it there it may not be properly charged, if you left it when it's not that hot and then you come back to it in the dead heat of summer if my feel like its not cooling. Either an over or under charged system will do that.

With the start up it my just need a tune up. Are you throwing any codes?

juanvan
08-11-2010, 02:34 PM
If the AC pump is engaged then there is pressure in the system and you just need a recharge. Depending on the AC pump you can be slowly losing r134.

Best bet is to have the system checked with dye r134 and look for where its leaking and fix that.

frazzles
08-14-2010, 07:25 AM
From what it sounds/looks like, I just need a recharge for it.

They had put the dye in before when they recharged it in April, maybe there is a leak somewhere.

Guess I'll just have to have them look at it again... thanks for responses.

rocketfast123
08-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Look around your fittings. Where ever you see a lot of oil and dirt, their is your leak.