Ignition Cylinder [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Cylinder

superman
08-09-2010, 04:37 PM
quick question:

I'm having trouble with my '99. The key won't turn at all.
I was wondering if anyone knew how to go about fixing this. What's needed? How hard?

any information would be great
thanks

juanvan
08-11-2010, 01:40 PM
have you tried a spare key and flipping the key?(dumb questions but reasonable)

I notice mine will not turn if I have the key in upside-down.. But these keys are mirrors on each end.

Pass-lock would prob be your only problem and there is a re-learn somewhere on the forum here. And having 2 keys for the doors and ign.

superman
08-11-2010, 04:33 PM
yeah I tried turning the key over.
I used to have to back the key out a little and then turn it while pushing it back in. It worked that way since I got the car and now it won't turn at all so I don't think I caused it but I could be wrong.
So I guess I'll just have to replace the ignition and have two keys...

Y2KGA
08-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Try pressing the brake and moving the shifter while turning the key. Sometimes the interlock can cause problems.

Replacing the lock cylinder is very simple as long as the key can rotate to the "on" postion. If it doesn't turn, you need to remove the whole switch and drill a hole to release it.

superman
08-21-2010, 09:31 AM
the key will not turn for anything. I tried removing the cylinder but it's held on by a cable. I found a diagram showing where to drill and tried it but it still won't come off.

How far should I drill? What do I do once I've drilled? Could I just cut the cable and replace that too?

What would be the easiest solution?

Y2KGA
08-21-2010, 06:30 PM
The cable is for the transmission interlock. According to the service manual there is a notch near the cable that will release it. I have the service manual for the whole ignition replacement procedure with pictures. PM me with your email address and I will send you a copy.

superman
08-28-2010, 11:48 AM
The cable is for the transmission interlock. According to the service manual there is a notch near the cable that will release it. I have the service manual for the whole ignition replacement procedure with pictures. PM me with your email address and I will send you a copy.

Hi,
I'm Bob. I'm Superman's Dad. I guess that means my name is Jarell - lol

I tried registering but I'm still waiting on approval (For like a week or two now:attention). Any mods reading this, look for Lex Luthor as a recent reg request, thanks.

So, I'm posting under my son's name.

Y2KGA, a copy of that procedure would be an immense help:winner:. I'll send you a PM with my email addy.

We drilled the hole exactly where the only diagram we could find showed. All we know about it is that we were supposed to drill it, but nothing else is known at this point. We figured we still have to rotate the key, and possible even push the little white tab that's nearby at the same time.

No go.

Here's what we figure: It seems to all stem from the fact that we can't get the key to go in all the way, hence, the cyl won't turn. The problem has always been the furthest tumbler in that has caused him to have to futz with the key to get it to start the car. Now the last tumbler has fallen in to the slot preventing it (key) from going all the way in, thus we can't get the cyl to turn.

Cyl no turn - cyl no come out.

That's what we think, any other suggestions would be forever appreciated.

Right now I'm just using a thin, ling probe to try and get the tumbler to move to accept the key

Y2KGA, check you PMs bro, thanks

WhiteLightning1
08-10-2016, 11:35 AM
I have just completed this task on my '05 GT. Hindsight is 20/20. This is the step by step process to remove and replace an ignition lock cylinder if your key will not turn or you do not have a key.

You may have to find a more detailed plan for removing trim...
1.Pry off radio/HVAC trim with flathead or stiff fingers. Remove radio completely.
2.Remove two bolts just above and below the cylinder. This will allow you to push it back to work on it.
3.Through radio port, remove two wire harnesses from bottom of ignition switch (plastic guy the cylinder is in). The small wire harness in the top can only be removed after the cylinder is pulled out. There is one more cable in the rear. This is the ignition interlock. It seems that there is only a small plastic tab holding it in but it cannot be removed unless cylinder is turned...which you cannot...if you can turn it then you have already read too far in the wrong post. Do NOT pull it or you WILL break the ignition switch and that is another $100.

DO NOT TRY TO PRY APART THE IGNITION SWITCH! There are some tabs holding the two halves together but I REPEAT, DO NOT TAKE APART! There are 5 tiny pins and springs that you WILL lose or otherwise recover and NEVER put back together correctly.

4.Pull the cylinder as far out in the radio port as you can so you can get a drill into the bottom of the ignition switch. The switch is still functional after performing this procedure. DO NOT DRILL into the Key Hole Side. That is just a mess and more work than necessary.

5.Locate the surface for the ignition switch lock cylinder release button (2) on the plastic ignition switch housing and center punch a location (1) on the rib 9.5 mm (3/8 in) rearward, toward the key entry end, from the cylinder release button.

6.Carefully drill a pilot hole through the plastic housing with an 1/8-inch drill bit.

7.Carefully drill a larger hole at the pilot location, and slightly into the ignition switch lock cylinder surface to break the release button retaining spring using a 9/32-inch drill bit.

8.Blow compressed air to remove small bits from housing. Grasp the ignition switch lock cylinder and remove the cylinder from the switch housing. Now you can turn the inside of the ignition switch right to release the ignition interlock cable while depressing plastic tab. Also remove the last small wire harness. Remember to reinsert it before putting new cylinder in.

9.Follow instructions to re-key new cylinder to match the old.(If you drill straight down the middle you could never match the original keys!) Or carry two sets of keys.

If you do not re-key you will need to reprogram the security system.

Reprograming new key:
1.Insert key and simulate staring car. The engine will not turn and the SECURITY Light will illuminate.
2.From OFF turn the key all the way and let rest at ON for 10 minutes or until SECURITY Light stops blinking.
3. Turn key to OFF for 5 seconds. Repeat step 2, two more times. Now you key is programmed.
4. Start car.