catalytic converter...help!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : catalytic converter...help!!

spyer
08-10-2010, 09:26 AM
ive been looking for a thread on how to change a catalytic converter. i have been going through the painful steps of trying to turn off the SES light...P0420 Code. Changed the rear O2 sensor but light came back on, so im guessing CATCON. Is it easy to do? is it bolted on?
Thanks for any help

350rs
08-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Yes its bolted. But those bolts go through so many extreme heating and cooling cycles that they will almost certainly be FUBAR. When i changed mine i had to heat the bolts at the flange where the cat and rest of the exhaust mated. When i say heat, i mean cherry red. I did it with MAP gas ( the yellow bottle) because i dont have a fancy garage to do this work in. Two of the three came loose. I just drilled the third one out when it was cherry red as well. Watch out for the filings that come off. Then the two bolts at the manifold were kinda a paint as well. best bet for that is to shoot some kind of penetrating lube on them. WD-40 works.. but i prefer P.B. Blaster for that kinda stuff. Take the sensors out and tuck them away somewhere safe. Pretty straight forward.

remiljr
08-10-2010, 11:21 AM
let a shop do it. wont cost much and keep your old cat and recycle it. its woth 50-75$ shop will just cut it off and weld in the new and u wont have any leaks to deal with right away or near future. from that area at least. the recycled bad cat will pay for the shop to weld on ur new cat. and for real fun go under there and cut it off urself and drive to the muffler shop with zero exhaust....funfun.

spyer
08-10-2010, 01:12 PM
ok, thanks guys
i guess ill see what a shop will charge to put one on. i dont have a garage to do this in

juanvan
08-11-2010, 02:28 PM
There is a magnaflow on ebay I purchased was cheaper then the advance jobber price I get in my area. Ebay Link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-02-PONTIAC-GRAND-AM-Direct-Fit-Catalytic-Converter-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ270539563300QQptZMotorsQ5f CarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories)

Check your vin etc.. just to verify.
Easy to do on a lift - Should not be hard on the ground but you will need to get all the way under the car to get it off - 2 nuts and 3 bolts. You will need new gaskets on both ends when putting back together.