Service engine light on [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Service engine light on

icecats87
08-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Car became for rough at idle to the point where the entire car was shaking. Service engine light started blinking and had codes read. Cylinder 6 was misfiring. These are the codes it threw back

P0420
P0206
P0306
P0443

Does anyone know what happened? after i drove to napa and back was letting car cool to check spark plugs and it runs fine now. what happened?

Pauljp
08-10-2010, 06:35 PM
P0420 is for catalyst system low efficiency.
Did you install a high flow cat?
If not, maybe your cat is blocked and acts up when hot.
Is it glowing red when hot?

icecats87
08-10-2010, 07:04 PM
P0420 is for catalyst system low efficiency.
Did you install a high flow cat?
If not, maybe your cat is blocked and acts up when hot.
Is it glowing red when hot?

I have a High flow cat. i know the p0420 code just dont know why all the other codes came up all of a sudden

AaronGTR
08-10-2010, 09:03 PM
P0206 is injector 6 control circuit.
P0306 is not even in my manual, but a quick google search showed cylinder 6 misfire.
P0420 is of course catalyst sytem low efficiency
P0443 is Evaporative emission purge solenoid circuit

My first guess would be a problem with the number 6 fuel injector causing a major misfire. Really bad misfires that can cause damage to the cat are usually what makes the MIL flash like that and usually the engine runs really rough when this happens.

germaphobicmonk
08-10-2010, 09:04 PM
I got those same codes when mine would do this. I would start it up, it would run fine, and then 5 miles down the road it would shake HORRIBLE. Then it could go another 3 days without any problems and then on the fourth day start shaking again. And then it could happen three days straight in a row. I finally got tired of it and took it to the dealership and I just needed a new fuel injector. They replaced all of the spark plugs while they were at it, and replaced the fuel injector. No problems since.

Sooo..maybe a fuel injector?

germaphobicmonk
08-10-2010, 09:06 PM
P0206 is injector 6 control circuit.
P0306 is not even in my manual, but a quick google search showed cylinder 6 misfire.
P0420 is of course catalyst sytem low efficiency
P0443 is Evaporative emission purge solenoid circuit

My first guess would be a problem with the number 6 fuel injector causing a major misfire. Really bad misfires that can cause damage to the cat are usually what makes the MIL flash like that and usually the engine runs really rough when this happens.

He got to it before I did. :)

icecats87
08-10-2010, 09:16 PM
I got those same codes when mine would do this. I would start it up, it would run fine, and then 5 miles down the road it would shake HORRIBLE. Then it could go another 3 days without any problems and then on the fourth day start shaking again. And then it could happen three days straight in a row. I finally got tired of it and took it to the dealership and I just needed a new fuel injector. They replaced all of the spark plugs while they were at it, and replaced the fuel injector. No problems since.

Sooo..maybe a fuel injector?

Okay well i leave next Wednesday for college so ill prob get new fuel injectors before i leave, but i dont know if this would cause it beginning of the summer this kid i use to hang out with egged my car 5 nights in a row. totally ****ed the hood up paint chipped but a week later i noticed ALOT of egg under the hood would it be a possibility some egg i didnt get cleaned got into the engine or something?

germaphobicmonk
08-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Okay well i leave next Wednesday for college so ill prob get new fuel injectors before i leave, but i dont know if this would cause it beginning of the summer this kid i use to hang out with egged my car 5 nights in a row. totally ****ed the hood up paint chipped but a week later i noticed ALOT of egg under the hood would it be a possibility some egg i didnt get cleaned got into the engine or something?

Possibly, but those suckers are pretty deep in there. I mean, it could happen...but the chances are slim to none. I think it just went bad. I'm anal about my car, I wash it and wax it at least twice a week and keep it garaged, and mine went bad. Weird though, mine was number six as well. O_o

icecats87
08-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Possibly, but those suckers are pretty deep in there. I mean, it could happen...but the chances are slim to none. I think it just went bad. I'm anal about my car, I wash it and wax it at least twice a week and keep it garaged, and mine went bad. Weird though, mine was number six as well. O_o

Ill most likely get new injectors tomorrow, and yeah my hood has marks from the egg every where and all around the car, kid use to be my friend then idk but he was stupid enough to leave a voice mail saying he was egging my car and doing it again and showed cops and busted him in the act

germaphobicmonk
08-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Ill most likely get new injectors tomorrow, and yeah my hood has marks from the egg every where and all around the car, kid use to be my friend then idk but he was stupid enough to leave a voice mail saying he was egging my car and doing it again and showed cops and busted him in the act

Hah. My I only dropped 6K on my car but I'd kill someone over it. :boxing: But yeah, I'd just replace the one fuel injector though. I don't know if you can do it yourself, but it cost about $130 for the injector plus labor on mine. $130 x 6 = $780 + labor. Not fun.

icecats87
08-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Hah. My I only dropped 6K on my car but I'd kill someone over it. :boxing: But yeah, I'd just replace the one fuel injector though. I don't know if you can do it yourself, but it cost about $130 for the injector plus labor on mine. $130 x 6 = $780 + labor. Not fun.

I have a warranty on my car wonder if the fuel injectors are covered on it not sure ill check.

icecats87
08-12-2010, 12:09 AM
So yesterday when i first found noticed this problem when cylinder 6 was misfiring i erased the codes. Now today i was going on a hour drive and car was working fine all morning and all of a sudden it became very rough. then the service engine light came on and started blinking (cylinder misfire) after 15 minutes it stopped misfiring and the light stayed on, car felt fine rest of the trip on the way home all of a sudden the service engine light just turned off.... whats going on? would a bad fuel injector do this or is it something with the PCM?

GA2000GTSpeed
08-13-2010, 02:44 AM
well if you have a warranty on your car go check and see if its covered... don't just wait and do nothing about it. It's not going to hurt to ask.

icecats87
08-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Took injectors out there was ALOT of dirt on them, but the upper intake gasket was cracked where number 6 injector was which is probably why all the **** got in, waiting on 2 more O rings from napa from warehouse other then that cleaned up the engine a little more and also did some touch of paint will have everything put back on in 3 hours and hopefully it fixed the problem

I did however switch the injector 6 with 5 to see if the engine light does come back on to see if it still says injector 6 circuit or if it switches to 5 if so bad injector but they looked pretty good to me.