hub/wheel bearing [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : hub/wheel bearing

350rs
08-11-2010, 10:40 AM
one went out today on my way to work. i had the ABS, SVS, and TRAC light come on. How do i figure out which one it is? Will a scan with a OBD2 reader show me which one it is? at 115 and 150 bucks a pop i do not want to buy more than one of these things.

Also.. No noticeable noises. Unless its pouring rain. then i have a loud sound from that side, but it seems more related to exhaust. Its not pulling, nothing.

Pauljp
08-11-2010, 11:21 AM
A regular scan tool will not read speed sensors.
You need a different scanner for that.
In the States, Autozone apparently reads them for free and will let you know which one is defective.
Here in Canada they don't do that as far as I know.
I just jack up the car, remove the tire, unplug the sensor, and meter it with a multi-meter.
I changed my front-drivers hub a few months ago.
It was my very first time doing one, it wasn't hard.
I only needed to buy an axle nut socket and a torque wrench.
Good luck.

remiljr
08-11-2010, 01:29 PM
id just replace both at the same time. odds are the other one is gonna go very soon and you will be doin it again anyway. i took my car to a shop where they had a abs scan tool that did hook up to obd2 but it wasnt for engine...just abs. also i advise not to buy off ebay for cheap unless changing wheel bearings out every 3 or 4 months isa hobby for u...lol

350rs
08-11-2010, 01:46 PM
nah, i was gonna get the national bearing from oreilly. Far as i know they make a decent product.

undersc0re
02-14-2011, 11:59 PM
A regular scan tool will not read speed sensors.
You need a different scanner for that.
In the States, Autozone apparently reads them for free and will let you know which one is defective.
Here in Canada they don't do that as far as I know.
I just jack up the car, remove the tire, unplug the sensor, and meter it with a multi-meter.
I changed my front-drivers hub a few months ago.
It was my very first time doing one, it wasn't hard.
I only needed to buy an axle nut socket and a torque wrench.
Good luck.

How would I check these with a meter? Do they all have a set resistance or open circuit when they are bad? What kind of scanner will pinpoint the exact wheel that you can buy from the local store.

Pauljp
02-15-2011, 06:45 AM
How would I check these with a meter? Do they all have a set resistance or open circuit when they are bad? What kind of scanner will pinpoint the exact wheel that you can buy from the local store.

I only have a reader for the engine and not for wheel sensors, so I have to use a multimeter. The sensor is simply a coil.
Jack up the car, unplug the sensor that you want to check, put your meter leads to the two pins, set the meter for AC milliamps and spin the tire. The faster you spin the tire the higher your reading should be. With hand turning, it should get to about 300 milliamps.
Also, check each lead to ground. There should be no short to ground from any of the two pins from the sensor.
Hope this helps.

undersc0re
02-15-2011, 10:10 AM
I went ahead last night and measured all 4 wheels they had around 1000 ohms except one. I put a 1000 ohm resistors leads into the plug and then went into the car to see if the lights would go out when I started it. They went out right away so I assume thats the culprit, unfortunately as soon as I started to drive the lights came on so like you said when you spin the wheel the resistance/voltage must change and it set off the lights again but they went out after stopping and then restarting the engine.

Pauljp
02-15-2011, 10:40 AM
It looks like you found the culprit.
As the wheel spins the sensor reads a gear in the hub turning and sends pulses out to the Electronic Brake Control Module.
Good idea to put a 1k resistor to simulate a good sensor, however when you started driving, you couldn't simulate the pulses and your lights came back on.
So there you go. Change that hub since the sensor is built into it and you're good to go.

undersc0re
02-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Yep, changed it out today and all is well!!!

Ceej
02-16-2011, 02:03 AM
what is the part i need to do this too

Pauljp
02-16-2011, 07:44 AM
what is the part i need to do this too

The sensor is embedded in the HUB assembly.
You will need to change the entire HUB.
It's not that hard to do if you have the tools.
I had to buy an axle nut socket and a torque wrench, as I already had the air tools.
That's about all you need.

madmike77
02-16-2011, 04:55 PM
did two in 45 minutes with hand tools 3 nuts on back need to be torqed to 70 lbs. and the axle nut should come with the assy. bought mine from autozone for $120 a piece, the first time i bought them from murray which is now oriely and replaced them one year later those were replaced by a mechanic the second time did it myself and been good for 3 years now.