Fuel Pump Replacement 2002 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Replacement 2002

joey p
08-11-2010, 11:11 AM
I need to ask has anyone ever removed the fuel pump on a 2002 from the back seat. I heard on some of our cars this could be done. Also if u know the location of the pump could'nt you just cut a hole on top of the pump in the back seat to access it from the top so you dont have to remove the tank??????

AleroB888
08-11-2010, 11:23 AM
I need to ask has anyone ever removed the fuel pump on a 2002 from the back seat. I heard on some of our cars this could be done. Also if u know the location of the pump could'nt you just cut a hole on top of the pump in the back seat to access it from the top so you dont have to remove the tank??????

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1069124&postcount=54

joey p
08-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Was the tank down when you made the whole????? And what did you make the cover for the whole out of???? Is there clearance to cut the whole with the tank in place.

Nice Job By The Way

AleroB888
08-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Was the tank down when you made the whole????? And what did you make the cover for the whole out of???? Is there clearance to cut the whole with the tank in place.

Nice Job By The Way

No, that's the catch, you still have to drop the tank down about 6 inches to cut the opening, then take the disconnect fittings off the OEM plastic lines coming from the pump canister and install rubber hoses in their place.

The cover plate was cut out from a car in a salvage yard. (cut oversize, then trimmed to fit)

joey p
08-11-2010, 12:13 PM
If you use a small circular saw could it be done without droping the tank???? Or a Grinder

Thanks Again

remiljr
08-11-2010, 12:14 PM
ingenious

AleroB888
08-11-2010, 12:25 PM
If you use a small circular saw could it be done without droping the tank???? Or a Grinder

Thanks Again

Yeah, as long as the sparks stay on the interior side :)

But the fuel lines are in there pretty tight, I think the tank would need to drop a bit in any case, to remove them. Or you would have to find some way to reattach the plastic tubing to the new pump housing.

joey p
08-11-2010, 12:35 PM
I dont understand. If you have the hole cut in the top why would you not be able to access the fittings and the hoses should'nt you have room??? And if you use a Die Cutter and there are no gas leaks you should be ok right.

Thanks Again

AleroB888
08-11-2010, 12:47 PM
I dont understand. If you have the hole cut in the top why would you not be able to access the fittings and the hoses should'nt you have room??? And if you use a Die Cutter and there are no gas leaks you should be ok right.

Thanks Again

You can access the fittings and hoses, but I'm not sure you could pull the whole assembly out from the interior side, hoses and all, after disconnecting the lines at the fuel filter. The channel they are routed thru over the tank is narrow, and the plastic lines are fairly stiff. But I haven't tried it.

joey p
08-11-2010, 01:03 PM
There is only one fuel filter right. So your really only breaking one line anyways. But I understand what your saying. I really want to do this job this way but I want to make sure its done right and pass on the information since the butthead engineer that built this car was an idiot. Found a Complete Repalcement Unit on an auction site for 75.00 shipped and they have more. I know its cheap and some may have to chime in but thats why I want to do this job this way and I dont have to worry about replacement......Beats 600 to 1000 dollars ya or even 260 to 350 for just the pump. A holes

AleroB888
08-11-2010, 01:18 PM
There is only one fuel filter right. So your really only breaking one line anyways. But I understand what your saying. .........

You also have a fuel return line and a canister vent line

juanvan
08-11-2010, 01:21 PM
If you want to do it Completely right don't cut any corners and drop the tank.
If you want when the tank is out - make your cheat whole.

That is a good job Alero - to bad it was not in the org design.

joey p
08-11-2010, 01:44 PM
I know about the other lines... I want to do the cheat hole to save time and for future. And I dont think doing a cheat hole is not the right way of doing this job. Since design was the wrong way.

juanvan
08-11-2010, 01:52 PM
no the design is right - they never intended you to take it out the top - who wants to take a gas dripping piece out then in the interior of a customers car?

You have to think that ehh benefit of the doubt 64% of all Mechanics are those kids from Vo-Tech who spent more time imagining bong designs then turning a wrench to fix something.

AleroB888
08-11-2010, 01:57 PM
I know about the other lines... I want to do the cheat hole to save time and for future. And I dont think doing a cheat hole is not the right way of doing this job. Since design was the wrong way.

Ok, then, but proceed with caution, please....This is the hole cutout, (not the cover):

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/Gflash01/0014.jpg?t=1281556409

(dimensions measured over the curve of the area, measuring tape right on the lines)