Amp killing battery? please help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Amp killing battery? please help

Z2dr99GT
08-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Okay quick intro, been on the site almost two years now and never really posted because I found everything I needed through the search button:winner:. I’ve done a few mods like a grill, painted calipers projection headlights with leds and halo’s and tint (35% on two front, 5% on back 3). I have also done some audio modifications and it has been fine until now...

I started out with two 12” JL w3s and a very crappy amp and taped into the wires going to the stock amp to get a signal and a 12 gage wire run to the fuse box for power. I also used the orange wire that runs to the amp and wired it to a switch and used that as the remote wire. Worked great for almost a year then one day car wouldn’t start. Finally figured out that the 12 gage power wire rubbed where it ran from the cab to the trunk and shorted out. Ran another 12 gage wire and when I leave it for like 4 hours the car won’t start. If I unplug the power wire its fine. Kinda thought it had to do with wire I wired my “remote” wire since I blew the fuse that opens the trunk which has popped open by its self a few times. Since then I got a really nice Kenwood stereo ( http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/eXcelon/1-Din_CD_Receivers/KDC-X494 ) installed professionally by Mickey Shorr. They gave me a $40 8 gage wiring kit for free and wired it to the back and let the wires hang so I could run them myself and not have to pay another $70. I still used the fuse box for the 8 gage power wire but now I have a real remote wire and wires coming from the head unit for a signal. I used a screw on the strut tower in the trunk for a ground and my car is still dieing when everything is plugged in. Red power wire unplugged = car fine. Red power wire plugged in = great sound and dead car in 3-4 hours. So is my amp shorting out or do I have something wired wrong? I have checked both the battery and the alternator and they are fine and the amp is turning off when the car is off. Any help or ideas are appreciated.
Thanks,
Zach

AaronGTR
08-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Well, it sounds to me like the power wire is still shorted somewhere? I would remove all the wiring from the old way you had it hooked up, and not have anything tied into the stock wires in the trunk. Use the signal and remote power wires from the head unit, and run a dedicated power wire from the battery back to the trunk.

Z2dr99GT
08-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Nothing is tied into the wires going to the little stock amp anymore besides the regular 6x9s. my subs are now wired the way they are supposed to from the head unit and I still have the power wire run up to the fuse box under the hood which should work? But i think i have it figured out now. i let everything sit wired up with the car off for about an hour, came back and almost burned myself on the amp it was so hot. So i'm throwing that amp away and for now i'm using a 240 watt 4 channel amp until i find something better:/ it doesn't push hard at all but atleast now i'm hoping my car won't catch on fire and will start reliably.

remiljr
08-12-2010, 06:33 PM
tough one! seems like amp is grounding out and drawing power but thats what fuses are for and they would blow, try swapping out the fuses in the amp to something crazy like a 5 amp or something and do not play stereo, just turn it on and see if the fuse blows. may be your amp causing this issue but ive been thru many many amps without this issue or ever hearing about anything similar. i would deff go back through and check all your hodge podge wires you hacked up trying to power an amp with 12awg speaker wire. just seems to me if something is draining your battery but only when amp is hooked up its in the amp! but pretty unheard of. see if it will blow a smaller fuse all by itself! maybe even go like 2.5a or sumthing. just dont play the sysem, only turn the amp on. if it blows. ur amp is somehow someway just a lil bit grounded????lol....wtf

Sparky'sGA01
08-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Yeah sounds like bad ground in amp. I've had it happen before. Try playing wit the power wire
Ground wire and remote. And make sure that is all good.

Malaclypse
08-12-2010, 11:02 PM
If your remote turn-on wire is going to the head unit and your power wire for the amp has been replaced, then it could only be an internal amp problem. Its likely not turning off when its supposed to and drawing alot of juice when the car is off.

Z2dr99GT
08-13-2010, 11:50 AM
It definitely is the amp, i'm sure now. I left it hooked up to this other smaller amp over night and when i checked it this morning voltage in the battery was fine and the amp wasn't over heated. Now, anyone know where i can get a half way decent amp for cheap? lol Thanks for the help everybody.

Z2dr99GT
08-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Okay so maybe the problem isn't resolved...everything worked for about 3 days then it wouldn't start. i left it for a little while and then it started again. i unplugged everything hooked to the amp and left it and it still died and wouldn't start. after about 2 minutes it started again. i hooked up the amp and left it over night and it started just fine. left it for about 10 minutes after that and it wouldn't start again. This is really not making sense anymore. Also with the power, ground, and remote all unplugged i still get about 12.45 volts coming out of this new amp it's self, is this even possible from the capacitors in the amp?

Bratthauer
08-17-2010, 09:18 PM
if ya got the power wire hooked up to the fuse block under the hood. try hookin' it straight to the battery nd put a fuse in the power wire near the end, close to the power source. the way i got mine is the power wire is straight to the battery, ground is bolted to the trunk, and instead of the rem wire goin' to my head unit i got it goin' to the fuse box in the side of the dash hooked into a acc. fuse that shuts off with the key. the head unit may not be tellin' it to shut off all the way or somethin'. i got 2 kenwood 12" subs and a kenwood 1000watt amp and i've never had a problem. another thing that the fuse mite help with is if it blows then the wires are shortin' some place for sure.

remiljr
08-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Okay so maybe the problem isn't resolved...everything worked for about 3 days then it wouldn't start. i left it for a little while and then it started again. i unplugged everything hooked to the amp and left it and it still died and wouldn't start. after about 2 minutes it started again. i hooked up the amp and left it over night and it started just fine. left it for about 10 minutes after that and it wouldn't start again. This is really not making sense anymore. Also with the power, ground, and remote all unplugged i still get about 12.45 volts coming out of this new amp it's self, is this even possible from the capacitors in the amp?

no way! you need a new meter and a lot of time to find your ground

Z2dr99GT
08-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Okay it seems to be starting fine the last few times i've started it but with a little hesitation occasionally. I know my ground is good because when i test just the power and the ground i get like 12.5 volts. I know my remote wire is turning off because the light on the amp goes out when i turn the car off and when it's off if i test it with the ground i don't get any voltage. i am also using a fuse that came with the wiring kit. it is a pretty big fuse that i have on the power wire between the amp and the battery. And my dad has been helping and he makes a living with batteries and we've tested this amp with two of his multimeters and some how i still get about 12.4 volts out of the amp with no wires connected to it. idk i think it is unrelated to the car not starting though. one thing i think is related is that my trunk has popped open on it's own a couple of times when it wouldn't start? i don't really know how that is possible either. I'll be going to college on the 25th and really want this resolved by then because it is a 5 hour drive away home. it seems to be okay for now but it's just weird.