Ignition Switch Removal and Cleaning Contacts [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Switch Removal and Cleaning Contacts

joey p
08-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Has anyone tried to remove the switch off the back of the ignition cylinder to clean the switch with contact cleaner to solve the problem with the fuel pump not running. And what was the end result

Y2KGA
08-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Has anyone tried to remove the switch off the back of the ignition cylinder to clean the switch with contact cleaner to solve the problem with the fuel pump not running. And what was the end result

One year ago, I took the cylinder out and reseated it a few times. I didn't clean it in any way. Just reseating it cleans the contacts. It was fine until last week when the security light came on. I took the switch out last weekend and reseated it a few times. The light hasn't come on since.

joey p
08-12-2010, 07:17 PM
I dont know if it is the switch or the fuel pump thats why I asked. Thought I would give that a try first. What did you do remove the screws and pull the cylinder out??? Or did you unsnap the tabs on the switch itself to get to the contacts.....And is there a HOW TO on this subject??

AaronGTR
08-12-2010, 09:26 PM
The fuel pump is energized by the PCM, so doing anything with the ignition switch will not affect it. If the fuel pump is not turning on, it's because the PCM is seeing a security issue, the PCM is faulty, the fuel pump is bad, or there is another problem in the fuel pump circuit like a faulty relay or short in the wire harness etc.

joey p
08-12-2010, 09:55 PM
So the security issue with the pcm would lock out the fuel pump. Doesnt the pass lock do the same thing????

1. Bad Relay
2. Wiring Harness Short or Conection
3. Fuel Pump
4. Bad Pcm

Why would that not throw a code????

Im Guesing a Fuel Pump Right

Thanks

Y2KGA
08-13-2010, 05:00 AM
If passlock is the issue, then you will see the security light flash after the car fails to start. If you don't see the light, you have a different problem.

AaronGTR
08-13-2010, 08:26 AM
So the security issue with the pcm would lock out the fuel pump. Doesnt the pass lock do the same thing????

1. Bad Relay
2. Wiring Harness Short or Conection
3. Fuel Pump
4. Bad Pcm

Why would that not throw a code????

Im Guesing a Fuel Pump Right

Thanks

security issue with the pcm... that's what the passlock system is.

joey p
08-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Thats why I mentioned the ignition switch. I was having problems with the security light comming on and the engine not cranking at all and now the security light does not come on and the car cranks but does not start. So I checked the relay and pounded on the bottom of the gas tank and the car would turn over but not start. So I did a security reset about three times and the car started. So from what I read on here the ignition switch could also be the problem.

GrandAmC9
08-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Dont do it!!!!

Malaclypse
08-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Thats why I mentioned the ignition switch. I was having problems with the security light comming on and the engine not cranking at all and now the security light does not come on and the car cranks but does not start. So I checked the relay and pounded on the bottom of the gas tank and the car would turn over but not start. So I did a security reset about three times and the car started. So from what I read on here the ignition switch could also be the problem.

Its not the ignition switch. You need a new passlock sensor. (lock cylinder)

The only time I've had to replace an ignition switch on a Grand Am, Malibu, Alero is when the cylinder seizes up in the off position. I've had to destroy ignition switches to save the passlock wiring.

killdecyfer
08-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Hey Guys, This will be my first time posting here. I wasn't sure where to put this but Ignition Swith seemed like a good place.
the problem i am having is the ignition tumbler will not let me tur the key on. I have pulled it away from the switch and need to know if ther is anyway to get the tumbler itself out of the housing so i can remove the lock all together... any ideas or good info would be great, or just let me know if it would just be better to replace the whole igniton and reset the security? -Thanks--Decyfer

killdecyfer
08-23-2010, 08:05 PM
btw it's on an 02 GAGT1 with the 3.4

GROG
03-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Pull your radio out of the way W/O disconnecting the wires. Turn the key to "ON". There is a small rectangular hole in the bottom side of the ignition (tumbler) housing toward the middle. While the key is in the on position, depress the tab inside the key housing with a small scewdriver or something, and pull the key/tumbler unit out.

zap1322
04-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Joey:

I have a similar problem, did you find out anything?