Possible bad PCM? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Possible bad PCM?

icecats87
08-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Cars been running great until couple days ago. Was out driving and service engine light turned on. Then it became rough at idle engine light started blinking and cylinder 6 was misfiring. Used a code reader and got the codes P0206 and some others for the misfire. But the P0206 code was for fuel injector Circuit Malfunction.

So i left and half way home it stopped misfiring. went back and cleared codes, seeing if they came back on. the next day was driving and out of no where engine light came on car started misfiring, got home 5 min after it came on left car off. 2 or 3 hours later i was driving and it was misfiring again, this time it only did for about 5 minutes while driving the car it stopped and was fine the rest of the trip.

On the way home car ran perfect the entire time and at one point the service engine light turned off. then yesterday the engine light came on but there was no misfires.

Could this be a possible bad PCM since its randomly misfiring and it fixes while im driving, i dont think its the fuel injectors, its something electrical, but i do have a MPR PCM coming ordered it a week and half but i dont think it will be here before i leave for college. If this has happened to anyone else what was wrong?

Malaclypse
08-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Fuel injectors are electrical components so they could very well be causing thsi problem. More than likely its going to be that or a wiring issue. The PCMs in these cars are more reliable than most other components.

Not saying to rule out the PCM, but since this problem is so sporadic it could be an intermittently open injector or injector wiring. When PCMs fail, usually its a hard fault that doesn't go away.

I'd check injector number 6 since you set a P0206. One way to narrow it down would be to remove the fuel rail and swap injector 6 with a known good injector like #1. Then to drive the car and see if it will set the code again.

icecats87
08-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Fuel injectors are electrical components so they could very well be causing thsi problem. More than likely its going to be that or a wiring issue. The PCMs in these cars are more reliable than most other components.

Not saying to rule out the PCM, but since this problem is so sporadic it could be an intermittently open injector or injector wiring. When PCMs fail, usually its a hard fault that doesn't go away.

I'd check injector number 6 since you set a P0206. One way to narrow it down would be to remove the fuel rail and swap injector 6 with a known good injector like #1. Then to drive the car and see if it will set the code again.

Exactly what i was going to do tomorrow, but also the low coolant light came on today while driving so i go to put coolant in but it was full and the light was on all night so not sure about that