Oops, I pulled out the drive-side output shaft [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Oops, I pulled out the drive-side output shaft

Robb235
08-15-2010, 03:55 PM
So for those of you who read my previous thread, I had my driver side axle come apart on me while driving. Today I started working on the car again, and the tripod section of the cv axle was still stuck inside the transmission. I tried for several hours to get it out of the transmission, but no luck. Finally I forced the issue and pried on my pry bar as hard as I could and out popped not only the tripod, but the output shaft still attached to it.

My first question is, have I seriously damaged the transmission by doing this? I'm not very educated when it comes to automatic transmissions. Secondly, how do I seperate the tripod from the output shaft? And third, what is the correct way to re-install the output shaft?

AleroB888
08-15-2010, 04:15 PM
So for those of you who read my previous thread, I had my driver side axle come apart on me while driving. Today I started working on the car again, and the tripod section of the cv axle was still stuck inside the transmission. I tried for several hours to get it out of the transmission, but no luck. Finally I forced the issue and pried on my pry bar as hard as I could and out popped not only the tripod, but the output shaft still attached to it.

My first question is, have I seriously damaged the transmission by doing this? I'm not very educated when it comes to automatic transmissions. Secondly, how do I seperate the tripod from the output shaft? And third, what is the correct way to re-install the output shaft?

You mean popped out, like this? I don't think you hurt anything :)

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/Gflash01/alerosubframe.jpg?t=1281910291

Robb235
08-15-2010, 04:29 PM
So does the output shaft just pop right back in? Just line up the splines and tap it with a hammer? I'm such a newb when it comes to automatic transmissions. For now, my first order of business is figuring out a way to disconnect the cv axle/tripod from the output shaft.

AleroB888
08-15-2010, 04:38 PM
So does the output shaft just pop right back in? Just line up the splines and tap it with a hammer? I'm such a newb when it comes to automatic transmissions. For now, my first order of business is figuring out a way to disconnect the cv axle/tripod from the output shaft.

Yeah, pretty much just pop in place. I thought they were available as a complete assembly, though. I got a whole passenger side out of salvage for not too much money.

Malaclypse
08-15-2010, 05:22 PM

That's pretty much how you reinstall it. You haven't damaged anything.

As for separating the joint cup from the shaft... if there's a blank spot on the shaft you could wrap that in a shop towel and clamp it in a vice. Then tap on the backside of the CV axle cup with a rubber mallet or deadblow.

Robb235
08-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Yeah, pretty much just pop in place. I thought they were available as a complete assembly, though. I got a whole passenger side out of salvage for not too much money.

Are you sure we're talking about the same thing? I'm talking about the output shaft that's inside the transmission that connects to the cv halfshaft, I pulled that thing off. It's about a 2 foot long metal bar with splines on both ends.

AleroB888
08-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Are you sure we're talking about the same thing? I'm talking about the output shaft that's inside the transmission that connects to the cv halfshaft, I pulled that thing off. It's about a 2 foot long metal bar with splines on both ends.

No, now I'm not sure, can you get a pic?

Robb235
08-15-2010, 05:55 PM
No, now I'm not sure, can you get a pic?

I sat on my camera so that's a no go. I'll try my crappy cell phone, hold on.

Grandamgtblk99
08-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Any pics?

Robb235
08-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Sorry for the delay, girlfriend's cat got outside and we went looking for it.

Anyways, here is a crappy picture from my cell phone:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/Robb235/b0400366.jpg

On the very right is part of the CV axle. The axle broke, but the part on the right is what is still attached to the output shaft. This shaft came out of the transmission itself. I think maybe it connects to the differential?

Robb235
08-15-2010, 08:51 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/Robb235/869a247b.jpg

#26 is what came out of the transmission.

AleroB888
08-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Can you seperate the output shaft fom the axle part that's still attached to it? I would try that, at this point, and see if the output shaft will pop back into place inside the transmission. Is the end of the output shaft keyed?

Robb235
08-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Can you seperate the output shaft fom the axle part that's still attached to it? I would try that, at this point, and see if the output shaft will pop back into place inside the transmission. Is the end of the output shaft keyed?

Sorry to sound stupid, but what do you mean when you say "keyed"? It has splines at both ends, and is flat at both ends if that's what you mean.

mfuller
08-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Umm....Just from looking at the diagram, it's quite possible that the driven gear (part #25) and the link chain probably aren't in their original positions. I don't think I'd trust the sun gear in the differential either - I forget what is used to hold the differential side gear onto the output shaft.
EDIT: Yup, looking at my service manual you either broke or bent the snap rings that hold the output shaft in place, so you've got little metal fragments floating around in your transmission. Plus all the thrust washers and such.
You are going to have to yank the tranny and rebuild it.

Robb235
08-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Umm....Just from looking at the diagram, it's quite possible that the driven gear (part #25) and the link chain probably aren't in their original positions. I don't think I'd trust the sun gear in the differential either - I forget what is used to hold the differential side gear onto the output shaft.
EDIT: Yup, looking at my service manual you either broke or bent the snap rings that hold the output shaft in place, so you've got little metal fragments floating around in your transmission. Plus all the thrust washers and such.
You are going to have to yank the tranny and rebuild it.

Wow, that is so depressing to read.

Malaclypse
08-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Wow, that is so depressing to read.

I'd say separate it from the axle piece that came out and attempt to reinstall it. Its not really load bearing because it -only- drives the driver's side wheel. The only thing you have to worry about is the spider gear in the differential.

There aren't any other snap rings holding that shaft in place other than the one that goes into the differential. If the ring on the diff end of the shaft is intact, separate the shaft from the CV housing and reinstall it. My suggestion of the vice still stands.

When reinstalling the intermediate shaft (#26) turn it slightly while trying to insert it into the diff to try and get the splines to line up. When you do, install your new axle to the shaft with the splines lined up. Push with the axle until the axle is fully seated in the transmission. Then you should be okay.

Don't worry.

Edit: The intermediate drive shaft won't be heyed on either end. So it doesn't have to go in any certain way as long as the splines line up. And it won't go in at all unless the splines are in alignment.

WidbyJ
08-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Yep - they can and do come out sometimes. If the snap ring is still there it's ok to just re-install... seen it happen before.