control arm replacment [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : control arm replacment

mr03SCT
08-17-2010, 08:51 AM
Hi,

I will be replacing the front control arms on the car as well as the struts and stablizer end links.

Would it be better to first remove/install control arms and then replace struts or would it be better to remove control arm, remove strut, replace strut, replace control arm?

I am not sure which is the best way to go about this as if both strut, end link and control arm are off I am not sure what else holds up the steering knuckle.

Lab Rat
08-17-2010, 10:31 AM
They do NOT need to come off all at once, but it may make it a little easier. The steering gear is mounted to the frame. I would make sure you have several coat hangers (or at least some type of wire to hang parts from, you don't want to add too much stress to brakelines, endlinks, etc). I also understand it is a little tough to get the control arm hooked back up. Might need to raise/lower to get parts aligned. One last thing, you will be sorry if you don't do the strut mounts. They aren't always changed with the struts and will be very noisy if not changed. IMO. If you are using quickstruts disregard my previous statement.

AaronGTR
08-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Well, I wouldn't take them both out at once, since there wouldn't be anything supporting the hub and brakes. You'll want to do the control arms and sway bar end links at the same time since they are connected. And do the struts separate. Doesn't matter what order you do them in... either will come out and go back in independent of the other.