Transmission SURGE after warm up 3.4 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission SURGE after warm up 3.4

sugar ray
08-19-2010, 01:56 AM
Situation:

3.4 2002 Grand-Am Auto tranny. April I replaced the infamous LIM gasket and did the head gaskets while I was in there. Put it all back together. The tranny would SURGE ahead when putting it into drive and shift hard as if I had put a shift kit in it. Traced the problem back to a vaccum leak. All was great for several months. car only has 100,000 Kms (NOT miles)

Just today, she had developed the SURGE out of no where. Shifts hard as if again, a shift kit has been installed. Only acts up after the car has warmed up. Under initial COLD take off all is good.

Pulled codes and all is reading clean with no trouble codes. NO SES light

Am I chasing down a vaccum leak yet again? Although......my gut feeling is NO as the last time a vaccum leak had developed because it had reason to as I had the entire top half of the motor apart. This time, there has been nothing done.

I am thinking sensor, but tough to shoot when my OBD2 reader pulls nothing. It is a real time reader so perhaps a trip with it attached should be in order

o2 possibly? Just dont want to throw money at her and be guessing
TPS maybe??

any sugesstions??

Grandamgtblk99
08-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Maf or Iat sensor

sugar ray
08-19-2010, 11:45 AM
thanks for the suggestion, will give them a try. Do you happen to have any links for TESTING those sensors to see if they are bad?? I found a link for testing the TPS and will conduct that test today