Mechanic said my Headgasket is gone. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic said my Headgasket is gone.

GrandAmMe
08-20-2010, 07:58 AM
So recently my car has been mis firing in the morning and idling rough when cold. As soon as is warms up it runs like a champ. Its been getting a bit worse so I took it to my mechanic. I got a call this morning claiming my headgasket is gone. Im not sure which bank of cylinders it is or which one (Didnt get into detail) But i'm basically in shock. I have never overheated this car EVER! i did notice some exhaust fumes During a warm day a few days ago but thought nothing of it. Any ideas? LIM possibly?

Grandamgtblk99
08-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Run a compression test of your own, or if one of your friends knows how to do it.

GrandAmMe
08-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Run a compression test of your own, or if one of your friends knows how to do it.

I will try. He said that there was Exhaust Gases in my Coolant. Ill just keep driving it as long as there is no oil in my coolant.

GrandAmMe
08-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Also, i just had an etest done about 10 Days ago. It passed with flying colors. :S

sugar ray
08-20-2010, 02:12 PM
I assume your running a V6 3.4??? A bad LIM gasket is a huge possibility if it has NEVER been changed. With the 3.4 LIM gaskets it does not seem to be a matter of IF but WHEN.

When my LIM gasket went I was getting a "low coolant" light. Top it up and a few days later it would come back on as coolant was being lost internally.

I am NOT sure of your mechanical skills but if you follow the guide to a "T" in the link you will save yourself HUNDREDS of dollars from a shop. You should be able to fix your LIM gasket and head gaskets for about $300 and 11-15 hours of labor depending on how things go. If you change the LIM gasket do NOT skimp, just pull the heads off and change head gaskets as well. Its one of those things that while you are in there you might as well do it.

I was able to do mine myself and it is NOT nearly as bad as it looks or as bad as a mechanic may make it out to be. Just take your time

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND purchasing Fel-Pro's "problem solving" kit and NOT using GM's gaskets. The poorly manufactured gasket is why 3400 owners are in this mess to begin with

This guide has helped so many Grand-Am owners fix their problem. :applause:

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68087