tranny surging/grinding [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : tranny surging/grinding

blazingerbs
08-21-2010, 08:05 PM
I would be real interested to know what someone who knows about trannys thinks this is. since i bought the car 3 yrs ago, it very often, when the car and tranny are warm and im shifting from r do d it will not give the 'clunk' it usually does, it will not begin to pull forward, even with a little gas. i give it time and it will go. then when it tries to shift out of 1st, something definitely grinds. i will let off and control it until it goes away(drive like a grandma). is this just slippage? never ever happens when cold.
what is it?

GA2000GTSpeed
08-22-2010, 12:58 PM
change your transmission fluid, most of the time that will help, if there are a lot of metal shavings in the fluid your clutch plates are slipping and are wearing down.

How many miles are on your car?
Are you throwing any codes?
When was the last time your trans fluid and filter was changed?

blazingerbs
08-22-2010, 02:00 PM
last time my tranny felt slippy in my parents 98 carvan, we changed the fluid and it completely blew 1 week after that.
my service engine soon light just came on 4 months ago, but i'm sure it's unrelated. i should have it read but i cant find a shop that will read for under 70$!

it has 150000 km
i bought 3 yrs ago with 114000 km
as far as i know the fluid and filter have never been done. it says do not service until 300000 km or if you notice problems. maybe it is a good idea.

whiteGT99
08-22-2010, 02:09 PM
you dont have an auto parts store in Canada to read it for free

here in IL, take the car to Autozone and they will read it for free and print out what is wrong for ya

blazingerbs
08-22-2010, 02:13 PM
haha i know i "hear" all about it.
for the price of a read, i can almost buy my own scanner
its a joke